Blacksburg, South Carolina

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}
{day, year, event}
{city, population, household}

Blacksburg is a town in Cherokee County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 1,880 at the 2000 census. The communities of Cherokee Falls, Kings Creek, Cashion Crossroads, Buffalo, and Mt. Paran are located within or near the town.

Blacksburg is in The Upstate of SC on the I-85 corridor about 45 miles southwest of Charlotte, North Carolina and is part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson Combined Statistical Area (CSA) which has a population of 1,173,433 according to 2004 estimates by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Contents

Brief History of Blacksburg, SC

The present day site of Blacksburg, SC was first settled by a man by the name of Stark. Mr. Stark who had lived in Charleston, SC prior to moving to the area, had gotten several people to come along with him on an agriculture venture, but this venture would fail. Those who stayed behind named the area Stark's Folly.

Around the late 19th century the Black family, headed by John G. Black, a Confederate veteran, were living in the area and persuaded the C.C. & C. Railroad Company to lay track through the town and a depot was built. The town soon became known as Black's Station in honor of John G. Black and was renamed Blacksburg in 1888.

Major John F. Jones of Massachusetts came to live in Blacksburg to be superintendent of the C. C. & C. railroad. He gave of his own personal money to have a school, hotel (The Cherokee Inn), and several other buildings constructed in Blacksburg. He lived in Blacksburg until 1922, when he was appointed the SC Internal Revenue Collector by the President of the United States. He died in 1939 at the age of 92 in his home state, Massachusetts.

In the 1890s large amounts of iron ore were found in the area and many people hoping to make a fortune from mining the mineral flocked to the town. Blacksburg became a boom town and hotels and saloons were built for the new visitors. The town went by the name Iron City for a short time. Because of the "iron rush" the town became quite wealthy and the first electric street lights in the Upstate of S.C. and perhaps in the entire state were installed in Blacksburg.[3][4] The city was incorporated in 1888 as "Blacksburg" but still holds its nickname "Iron City" to this day.

Government

  • Mayor: David Hogue
  • Town Council Members:
  • Joe Ross (District 1)
  • Mike Patterson (District 2)
  • Darren Janesky (District 3)
  • Janie Wilson (District 4)

Full article ▸

related documents
Chinese Camp, California
Manley Hot Springs, Alaska
Chitina, Alaska
Weleetka, Oklahoma
Franklinton, North Carolina
Cross Plains, Texas
Ransom, Illinois
Rainier, Washington
Raleigh, Mississippi
Hyder, Alaska
Wallace, Indiana
Waltonville, Illinois
Rising Sun, Maryland
Chalmette, Louisiana
Byron, California
Yorktown, Indiana
Crewe, Virginia
Wachapreague, Virginia
Gibbs, Missouri
McCarthy, Alaska
Cyril, Oklahoma
Luke, Maryland
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Kalkaska, Michigan
Milford, Michigan
Albers, Illinois
Dix, Illinois
Johnson City, New York
Felton, California
Copperopolis, California