Blue Earth, Minnesota

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{city, large, area}
{build, building, house}
{@card@, make, design}
{day, year, event}

Blue Earth is a city in Faribault County, Minnesota, at the confluence of the east and west branches of the Blue Earth River. The population was 3,621 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Faribault County[3]. It is home to a statue of the Jolly Green Giant. Additionally, Interstate Highway 90 is centered on Blue Earth, as the east and west construction teams met in 1978. As a tribute, there is a golden stripe of concrete on the interstate near Blue Earth. This draws a parallel to the golden spike set in the first transcontinental railroad.

Contents

Name

The city of Blue Earth gets its name from the Blue Earth River which surrounds the town. The river was given the Dakota name "Mahkota" (meaning Blue Earth) for the blue-black clay found in the river banks.[4]

Attractions

The Jolly Green Giant statue attracts over 10,000 visitors a year. In July 2007, the Blue Earth City Council approved space for a Green Giant memorabilia museum. Lowell Steen, of Blue Earth, has collected thousands of Green Giant items and will permanently loan them to the museum.[5] The 1990 Football team went 11-2 and finished 3rd in the State for Class A. That is a school record.

Blue Earth is home to many examples of great Midwestern architecture, including:

Faribault County Courthouse – completed in December 1892 at a cost of over $70,000. The architect for the courthouse was C.A. Dunham of Burlington Iowa and the contractor was S.J. Hoban from St. Paul. The style of the courthouse is Richardsonian (Romanesque). Stone used in the construction of the courthouse was transported from Kasota MN to Blue Earth by horse & wagon and rail. Most of the sand used in the mortar was from the Blue Earth river bottom and thoroughly washed. The pillars on the front of the building are of polished granite. There are ledges on all four sides of the tower that are of solid stone of unknown weights of several ton each. http://www.co.faribault.mn.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=13

Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd – 1872

First Presbyterian Church -- constructed in 1897at a cost of $12,622.75. Designed by Kinney and Orth, architects from Austin, Minnesota. The architecture is Romanesque in the arched windows, Gothic in the steeples and gables, and medieval in the towers. http://www.blueearthpres.com/

Salem Evangelical Church – This English country Gothic structure was completed in 1942. Designed by Bard & Vanderbilt of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Full article ▸

related documents
Vesta, Minnesota
Lake Angelus, Michigan
St. Charles, Minnesota
Waite Park, Minnesota
Ithaca, Michigan
Braddock, North Dakota
Cooper, Texas
Elmore, Minnesota
Spearman, Texas
Weston, West Virginia
Mott, North Dakota
Lafayette, Minnesota
Ivanhoe, Minnesota
Rothsay, Minnesota
Graham, North Carolina
Remer, Minnesota
Grand Junction, Tennessee
Marble Hill, Missouri
Hebron, Nebraska
Locust Grove, Georgia
Inkster, Michigan
Deer River, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Kansas
Mahnomen, Minnesota
Wheaton, Minnesota
Keewatin, Minnesota
Enterprise, Oregon
Haskell, Texas
Hollis, Oklahoma
Luverne, Minnesota