Bluffton, South Carolina

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{war, force, army}
{build, building, house}
{island, water, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{law, state, case}
{company, market, business}
{son, year, death}
{county, mile, population}
{theory, work, human}

Bluffton is a town in Beaufort County, South Carolina, United States. The population is 37,000 and center of the Bluffton Urban Cluster with a total population of 5,848. However, this separated urban area currently defined as Bluffton is quickly becoming contiguous to that of the significantly larger Hilton Head Island adjacent to it. As designated by the U.S. Census Bureau, Bluffton is included within the Hilton Head IslandBeaufort Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Bluffton is known for its rapid development, currently among the fastest in the state of South Carolina. A large amount of land has been annexed in the last few years leaving behind the old "One Square Mile" adage.

Contents

Geography

Bluffton is located at 32°12′45″N 80°53′50″W / 32.2125°N 80.89722°W / 32.2125; -80.89722 (32.212517, -80.897296)[3].

The town has a total area of roughly 53 square miles. The current population is estimated at 37,000.

History

During the 16th and 17th centuries, the area comprising southern Beaufort County was known as Granville County of St. Luke’s Parish. As the Yemassee Indians had established ten towns with over 1,200 inhabitants in that area, it was considered “Indian Lands.” In 1715, the Yemassee War broke out and after several years of fighting, the Yemassee tribe migrated to Florida, opening the “Indian Lands” to European settlement. In 1718, the Lords Proprietors carved the area into several new baronies, including the Devil’s Elbow Barony that contained the future town of Bluffton.

The Town of Bluffton was eventually built on two adjoining parcels in the Devil’s Elbow Barony purchased by Benjamin Walls and James Kirk. The first homes were constructed during the early 19th century by area plantation owners seeking the high ground and cool river breezes as an escape from the unhealthy conditions present on Lowcountry rice and cotton plantations. Easy access by water provided more incentive for expansion and the many tidal coves afforded excellent locations for residences. The first streets were formally laid out during the mid-19th century and the name of Bluffton decided upon during the same period.

Full article ▸

related documents
Hartsdale, New York
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Enfield, Connecticut
Bethesda, Maryland
Old Bethpage, New York
Atherton, California
Highland Park, Texas
Olney, Maryland
Westlake Village, California
Fresno, Texas
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Malden, Massachusetts
Stansbury Park, Utah
Dunwoody, Georgia
Riverside, Illinois
Waldorf, Maryland
Dublin, California
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Orland Park, Illinois
Streamwood, Illinois
White Marsh, Maryland
Plainview, New York
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
South Windsor, Connecticut
Saratoga, California
Irvington, New York
Roxana, Illinois
Visalia, California