Burtonsville, Maryland

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{area, part, region}

Burtonsville is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States.

Contents

History

In colonial times, the area was referred to as the Patuxent Hundred and later the Eastern Branch Hundred, a community comprising about 100 inhabitants. Among some of the earliest land grants are Maiden's Fancy, a 580-acre (2.3 km2) tract surveyed for Neal Clark in 1700, and Bear Bacon nearby, a 600-acre (2.4 km2) tract of land surveyed in 1703 for a Mark Richardson. Another prominent land holder was Richard Snowden, an iron master, who held various land patents in the area, including Snowdens Manor (surveyed 1715) consisting of an impressive 9,265 acres (37.49 km2) and Snowdens Mill (surveyed 1723) occupying an additional 546 acres (2.21 km2). From these larger tracts, among others, were carved smaller tracts of land which were either rented or sold off to planters and the like.[citation needed]

The community of Burtonsville, originally called Burton's, takes its name from Isaac Burton, who in 1825 bought out his siblings' shares of his father's land and became the major landowner in the area. He and his wife Keturah had 17 children, many of whom stayed in the area as adults. The community itself grew around the intersection of Old Columbia Pike and the road to Sandy Spring. In the 1850s Isaac Burton became the first postmaster of the newly-established post office in the vicinity, which operated out of his store at the intersection. Burtonsville's core area today continues to center around the intersection of Maryland Route 198 and US Route 29.[1]

Geography

As an unincorporated area, Burtonsville's boundaries are not officially defined. Burtonsville is, however, recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a census-designated place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place located at 39°6′27″N 76°56′3″W / 39.1075°N 76.93417°W / 39.1075; -76.93417 (39.107475, -76.934115).[2]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the place has a total area of 8.0 square miles (20.6 km²), of which 7.8 square miles (20.2 km²) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.4 km², or 1.88%) is water.

Full article ▸

related documents
Spring, Texas
Powderville, South Carolina
Germantown Hills, Illinois
Big Lake, Washington
East Renton Highlands, Washington
Brighton, Illinois
Falmouth, Virginia
Winchester Bay, Oregon
Raleigh Hills, Oregon
Seymour, Tennessee
Arden-on-the-Severn, Maryland
Great Falls, Virginia
Haslett, Michigan
Alcan Border, Alaska
Watkins Glen, New York
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Brewerton, New York
Fairfield Glade, Tennessee
Oscoda, Michigan
Redwood, Oregon
Rapid Valley, South Dakota
Spanaway, Washington
Carmichael, California
East Islip, New York
Long Beach, Indiana
Jefferson, Virginia
Finley, Washington
Woodmore, Maryland
Inwood, New York
Bolivar Peninsula, Texas