Colditz

related topics
{city, large, area}
{war, force, army}
{land, century, early}
{church, century, christian}
{build, building, house}
{film, series, show}
{water, park, boat}
{town, population, incorporate}
{service, military, aircraft}

Colditz (German pronunciation: [ˈkɔldɪts]) is a town in the Free State of Saxony, Germany, near Leipzig, located on the banks of the river Mulde. The town has a population of 5,188 (2005).

The town is most famous because of Colditz Castle, which has been used as a workhouse, mental health institution, a prisoner-of-war camp during World War I and as Oflag IV-C in World War II.

Contents

History

The first record of a settlement, located on the river Mulde, called Cholidistcha is from the year 1046.[2] In 1083, Henry IV recommended that Markgraf Wiprecht of Groitzsch build a castle on the cliff above the river. During the 12th century houses were built around the marketplace and the St. Nicholas church was built. In 1265 town rights were granted by the ruler. In 1504, the baker accidentally set Colditz on fire, and the city hall, church, castle and a large part of the town went up in flames. In 1506, reconstruction began and new buildings were raised around the rear castle courtyard.

During the 17th century a textile and weaving industry developed. In the 18th century clay from the Colditz area started to be used in the Meissen porcelain factory that was established in 1710 by the Elector of Saxony, Augustus the Strong. In 1804 a ceramics factory was established in Colditz by Thomsberger & Hermann.

During World War II the town did not suffer any damage. The town became headquarters for the military personnel guarding the prisoner of war camp for officers, Oflag IV-C that had been established in the castle. On 14 April 1945 the U.S. Army entered the town and freed the prisoners. However, under the agreements signed at the Yalta Conference, the Americans withdrew and were replaced by Soviet occupation forces late in June 1945. As a result Colditz and the entire state of Saxony became part of East Germany. In 1958 a factory manufacturing porcelain was established [2]

Full article ▸

related documents
Rochefort, Charente-Maritime
Maassluis
Vught
Sarmizegetusa
Leiston
Anklam
Zeist
Alcamo
Dunkirk
Dos Pilas
Plön
Tourism in Japan
Grande Arche
Thornhill, Dumfries and Galloway
Bussum
Atil
Hamelin
Mirfield
Rodmell
Gamesley
Hengelo
Alghero
Ripponden
Zagazig
Staphorst
Newport-on-Tay
Caransebeş
Ambracia
Oxenhope
Rothwell, West Yorkshire