Communications in Armenia

related topics
{system, computer, user}
{company, market, business}
{city, large, area}
{day, year, event}

This article is about telecommunications systems in Armenia.

Contents

Telephone

There are three telephone companies in Armenia: Beeline, which holds all fixed-line and 30% of cellular networks, and VivaCell-MTS, which holds 70% of cellular networks, and Orange. Beeline has around 550,000 mobile subscribers, and VivaCell-MTS has around 1,750,000, and Orange has around 250,000.

In Armenia, telecommunications investments have made major inroads in modernizing and upgrading the outdated telecommunications network inherited from the Soviet era. Currently, the system is 100% privately owned and undergoing modernization and expansion. Additionally, the mobile-cellular services monopoly terminated in late 2004 and a second provider began operations in mid-2005.

Domestic System

As of 2008, approximately 80% of all main lines are digitized and provide quality services for the region. The remaining 20% is in modernization process. Telephone network is also in technological convergence process, which Beeline is going to complete in 2009. Cellular networks also provide high-quality services, including GPRS, EDGE.

3G service was announced by Beeline in the summer of 2008. VivaCell-MTS was going to announce this service at the end of 2008.

International System

Yerevan is connected to the Trans-Asia-Europe fiber-optic cable via Georgia. There is general plan to make better connection via Turkey, after opening Turkey-Armenian borders. Additional international service is available by microwave radio relay and landline connections to other countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States, the Moscow international switch and by satellite.[1] Main backbones of Armenian networks are made by E3 or STM-1 lines via Microwave units across whole country with a lots-of passive retranslatations.

Radio

As of 2008, Armenia has 9 AM stations, 17 FM stations, and one shortwave station. Additionally, there are approximately 850,000 radios in existence.[1] Primary network provider is TRBNA

Full article ▸

related documents
Communications in Israel
Open system (computing)
Lightworks
Transatlantic telephone cable
IBM System p
Justin Frankel
Intel 8008
AIM alliance
Risc PC
Communications in Austria
Vertical interval timecode
Reduced-carrier transmission
Low-power communication device
GEGL
Freescale DragonBall
Wikipedia:Federal Standard 1037C terms/computer hardware terms
Round-trip delay time
3Station
Microphone array
Information technology
Intel 80486DX2
Session Description Protocol
Intel 80186
Delay encoding
MOS Technology 6510
Fractal transform
Mouse gesture
Transceiver
Television receive-only
Double-sideband suppressed-carrier transmission