Crab Orchard, Nebraska

related topics
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}

Crab Orchard is a village in Johnson County, Nebraska, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the village population was 49.

Contents

Geography

Crab Orchard is located at 40°20′4″N 96°25′14″W / 40.33444°N 96.42056°W / 40.33444; -96.42056 (40.334401, -96.420668)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.4 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 49 people, 25 households, and 11 families residing in the village. The population density was 295.6 people per square mile (111.3/km²). There were 26 housing units at an average density of 156.8/sq mi (59.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.96% White and 2.04% Asian.

There were 25 households out of which 12.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, and 56.0% were non-families. 48.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.96 and the average family size was 3.00.

In the village the population was spread out with 16.3% under the age of 18, 4.1% from 18 to 24, 18.4% from 25 to 44, 32.7% from 45 to 64, and 28.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 52 years. For every 100 females there were 88.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.4 males.

The median income for a household in the village was $17,500, and the median income for a family was $30,625. Males had a median income of $30,417 versus $22,000 for females. The per capita income for the village was $11,627. There were no families and 4.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 13.3% of those over 64.

Famous residents

  • Floyd Shaman: Noted sculptor lived briefly in Crab Orchard with his family in the late 1960s
  • Paul Swan: "The most beautiful man in the world", 1883–1972

References

Tecumseh

Cook | Crab Orchard | Elk Creek | Sterling

Full article ▸

related documents
Kenney, Illinois
Newark, Missouri
Stoutsville, Missouri
Gilead, Nebraska
McLean, Illinois
Anchor, Illinois
St. Helena, Nebraska
Kilgore, Nebraska
Lushton, Nebraska
Cliff Village, Missouri
Farley, Missouri
Zaleski, Ohio
North Henderson, Illinois
Bowen, Illinois
Ridott, Illinois
Mulliken, Michigan
Hopkins, Michigan
Elkton, Michigan
Washington Park, Illinois
Braxton, Mississippi
Pope, Mississippi
Good Hope, Illinois
Murrayville, Illinois
Loraine, Illinois
Concord, Illinois
Malden, Illinois
Detroit, Illinois
Wellington, Illinois
Rockbridge, Illinois
Ewing, Illinois