Cricklewood

related topics
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{area, part, region}
{specie, animal, plant}
{son, year, death}
{god, call, give}
{ship, engine, design}
{church, century, christian}
{line, north, south}
{food, make, wine}
{war, force, army}

Coordinates: 51°33′17″N 0°13′03″W / 51.5548°N 0.2176°W / 51.5548; -0.2176

Cricklewood is a district of North London, England whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, western part is the London Borough of Brent and southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

Contents

History

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its “pleasure gardens”. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new “Brent Sidings”, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Cricklewood Railway Cottages. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm Groves) in 1880. The station had become the terminus for the Midland Railway suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St. Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891. A daughter church called Little St. Peter's was opened in 1958 on Claremont Way and closed in 1983. The parish church on Cricklewood Lane was demolished and rebuilt in the 1970s. This church building was closed in 2004 although services for Anglicans are still held in Carey Hall on Claremont Road, now called New St. Peter's. The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

Full article ▸

related documents
Winschoten
High-rise
Mornington Crescent tube station
Meltham
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
Saltaire
Holborn
Tour Montparnasse
Transamerica Pyramid
Radio Row
Hopewell Centre, Hong Kong
Harefield
Whetstone, London
Kiruna
Heptonstall
Porvoo
North Norfolk Railway
Grants Pass, Oregon
Perth, Ontario
Staveley, Derbyshire
McCormick Place
Garfield Heights, Ohio
Frederiksværk
Balsall Heath
Ærøskøbing
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Wymondham
Catacombs of Paris
Bellefontaine, Ohio
Bodegraven