Crivitz, Wisconsin

related topics
{household, population, family}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{village, small, smallsup}
{son, year, death}
{water, park, boat}
{group, member, jewish}

Crivitz is a village in Marinette County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 998 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Marinette, WI–MI Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

Crivitz was surveyed and platted in the summer of 1883. This work was filed with the Register of Deeds in Marinette County on 10 September 1883 by German immigrant, Frederick John Bartels.[3]

Crivitz was a town until 1913, when it was incorporated as the Village of Crivitz. The village hall, originally located at 600 Main Avenue, was later relocated at 800 Main Avenue. The downtown developed along Main Avenue in the 600 to 900 blocks from 1913 to 1924. In 1924 a devastating fire destroyed 22 buildings along the south side of Main Avenue. In 1927, the village was disincorporated and became the Town of Crivitz. The fire, disincorporation, and the start of the Great Depression in 1929 sealed the fate of Crivitz for many years.

In 1974 Crivitz was once again incorporated as the Village of Crivitz, with the Village Hall at 800 Henriette Avenue. This was quickly followed by improvements in the water-sewer system, electrical system, and highway-transportation system. The village currently operates under its 1974 incorporation with a Village President (executive), a Board of Trustees (legislative), and a Municipal Judge (judicial). Village operations are carried out by the Public Works Department, Water-Sewer Department, Police Department, Fire Department, and Parks Department. In the 1980s the village business district moved to U.S. Highway 141 on the eastern edge of the village. There has been no addition development in the downtown area of the village. The residential area has continued to expand both north and south between the railroad tracks and the Peshtigo River.

Street Names

Main Avenue (railroad tracts to Peshtigo River) is the heart of the original business district. This street is also known as "County Highway W". Fourteen of the streets in the village are named for members of the Bartels family. One Block North of Main Avenue is Henriette Avenue, named for a daughter and also known as County Highway A. On the west side of the railroad tracks is Louisa Street. This was named for Fredrik Bartels' wife. On the west side of the village at the Peshtigo River is F. J. Street. This was named for Fredrick John Bartels himself.

Recreation

Crivitz enjoys a small town atmosphere with a focus on the recreational opportunities in the area, including hunting, fishing, boating, camping, snowmobiling and competitive sports activities.

The newest park in the Wisconsin state park system, Governor Thompson State Park, is being developed north of Crivitz. The park was created in 2000, the centennial year of the Wisconsin state park system, and named after then-Governor Tommy Thompson.

Full article ▸

related documents
Middlefield, Ohio
Reedsville, Wisconsin
Cleves, Ohio
Fox Point, Wisconsin
Bremen, Ohio
Amelia, Ohio
Mechanicsburg, Ohio
Camp Douglas, Wisconsin
Commercial Point, Ohio
Harrod, Ohio
Elida, Ohio
Middle Point, Ohio
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Ottoville, Ohio
New Bloomington, Ohio
Fairfax, Ohio
Shreve, Ohio
Tiltonsville, Ohio
Cardington, Ohio
Port Washington, Ohio
Monroeville, Ohio
Boyceville, Wisconsin
South Salem, Ohio
Forest, Ohio
Golf Manor, Ohio
Elmwood Place, Ohio
Arlington Heights, Ohio
Ridgeland, Wisconsin
Luckey, Ohio
Broughton, Ohio