Dean Village

related topics
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{church, century, christian}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}
{woman, child, man}

Dean Village (from dene, meaning 'deep valley') is a former village immediately northwest of Edinburgh, Scotland city centre. It was known as the "Water of Leith Village" and was a successful grain milling hamlet for more than 800 years. At one time there were no fewer than eleven working mills there, driven by the strong currents of the Water of Leith. The mylnes of Dene were listed in the King David I Charters.

In 1833, the four-arched Dean Bridge, designed by Thomas Telford and 106 feet above the water level, was opened to carry the Queensferry Road over the Dean Gorge, almost at the sole expense of Mr John Learmonth Lord Provost of Edinburgh. The contractors were John Gibb & Son, from Aberdeen. Another intention of the new bridge was to open up the Dean estate to feuing.[1] Dean Bridge was also featured in Ian Rankin's book Strip Jack, in which novel a woman is found dead in the river underneath the bridge. The side parapet of the bridge was raised in height at the beginning of the 20th century as a deterrent to suicides, which were very common here in the 19th century, being more or less guaranteed success. The change in stonework is still visible.

However, for a number of reasons, Dean Village's trade diminished. For many years, the village became associated with decay and poverty, and it reached a low-point by around 1960. From the mid 1970s onwards it became recognised as a tranquil oasis close to the city centre, and redevelopment and restoration began, converting workers' cottages, warehouses and mill buildings. The area has now become a desirable residential area.

The Water of Leith has become a local amenity, with a waymarked trail, the Water of Leith Walkway, running from Balerno via Dean Village to Leith.

Dean Cemetery stands on the site of Dean House, a mansion house which was part of Dean Estate which had been bought by Sir William Nisbet in 1609 and demolished in 1845. The cemetery which is one of the few in Scotland run as a non-profit making charity trust (to avoid being asset-stripped), is the resting place of many well-known people, including the railway engineer Sir Thomas Bouch and David Octavius Hill. Sculptured stones from the house are incorporated into the terrace wall on the edge of the cemetery. A painted ceiling from Dean House is now in the National Museum of Antiquities.

References

Coordinates: 55°57′7.22″N 3°13′2.27″W / 55.9520056°N 3.2172972°W / 55.9520056; -3.2172972

External links

Full article ▸

related documents
Wrigley Building
Ærøskøbing
Downing Street
Mortlake
Mission San Antonio de Padua
Aon Center (Chicago)
Fort Augustus
Refugio, Texas
Cornelius, Oregon
Sheldonian Theatre
George Streeter
World Cotton Centennial
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Chillicothe, Missouri
Mission La Purísima Concepción
The Center
Amberley Working Museum
Inn
Sutter's Fort
Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia
McBee, South Carolina
Mission San Juan Bautista
Hickory, North Carolina
Blackfriars Bridge
The Rip Van Winkle Caper
Fairmount, Indiana
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Tandy Center Subway
Titus Salt
Perkasie, Pennsylvania