Elizabeth, Indiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{town, population, incorporate}
{school, student, university}
{group, member, jewish}
{car, race, vehicle}
{county, mile, population}

Elizabeth is a town in Posey Township, Harrison County, Indiana, United States. The population was 137 at the 2000 census. It was founded in 1812 and named for Elizabeth Veach, wife of the landowner who donated the land for the town.

Contents

History

The original plat of the town of Elizabeth was recorded on April 17, 1812. The land for the town was donated by Edward Veatch. He named the town after his wife, Elizabeth Veatch.

Rose Hill Cemetery, the second largest cemetery in the county, is located on the west side of the town. The land for the cemetery was donated by Joseph Zenor with the only rule being that burial be made available regardless of the religious denomination of the deceased.

The town fire department was first organized by the town on December 29, 1959. The first fire engine was purchased in Corydon. It was a 1941 International Fire Truck, purchased for $200.

The first school in Elizabeth was a single room log cabin around 1833. Around 1890 seminary education first became available at Clay Hill College in downtown Elizabeth. The College was later moved and the high school eventually took over that building around 1908. The first graduation was held on April 13, 1912. The high school burned down in 1935. In 1936 Posey Township completed construction of a new brick school building. The building is still in use today, owned and operated by a local civic non-profit organization. The town's school children now attend South Central High School, which serves the entire south-eastern portion of Harrison County.

Geography and maps

Elizabeth is located at 38°7′27″N 85°58′25″W / 38.12417°N 85.97361°W / 38.12417; -85.97361 (38.124158, -85.973711)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.1 square miles (0.4 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 137 people, 53 households, and 36 families residing in the town. The population density was 997.1 people per square mile (377.8/km²). There were 59 housing units at an average density of 429.4/sq mi (162.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.54% White, 0.73% from other races, and 0.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.73% of the population.

There were 53 households of which 32.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.6% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.2% were non-families. 26.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.16.

Full article ▸

related documents
Stamford, Nebraska
Lamy, New Mexico
Elwood, Illinois
Clint, Texas
Fort Montgomery, New York
Groom, Texas
Greenville, Virginia
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Port Sulphur, Louisiana
Panhandle, Texas
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Brady, Washington
Starbuck, Washington
Top-of-the-World, Arizona
Boydton, Virginia
Tonopah, Nevada
Foresthill, California
Viola, New York
Maeystown, Illinois
Pearl River, Louisiana
Middle Island, New York
Goldston, North Carolina
North Syracuse, New York
Copperopolis, California
Terry, Mississippi
Fidelity, Illinois
Belfry, Montana
Fries, Virginia
Grover, North Carolina
Milford, Michigan