Estherwood, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{village, small, smallsup}
{food, make, wine}
{woman, child, man}
{school, student, university}
{mi², represent, 1st}

Estherwood is a village in Acadia Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 807 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Crowley Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

The Estherwood area had two earlier names, Tortue, after the Indian chief, and Coulée Trief or Trive. The Coulée Trief name involves Jean-Baptiste Trief, a mysterious person believed to have been one of Jean Lafitte's pirates, who built a cabin on the coulee, about six miles west of Crowley, Louisiana, about 1816. He was described as a "tall, dark, sinister-looking" man who wore large earrings like pirates once did.

There are several stories about how Estherwood got its name. A likely one is that it is the combination of two names: Wood, for a Dr. Wood who was once prominent in the area, and Esther, for the wife of a railroad executive. Another is the wood part may come from the fact that the trains stopped for fuel wood here.[1]

Jacob Kollitz and A. D. LeBlanc established stores near the Trief cabin in the early 1890s, and a little settlement began to grow around them. Kollitz also operated the 15 room Estherwood Hotel for a time, but it was closed in 1907.

The settlement began to grow just after the turn of the century with the Miller-Morris Canal, one of the first large rice irrigation systems, which helped establish the rice industry in the area, followed in 1900 by the opening of the Eureka rice mill at Estherwood.

By the spring of 1900, there were more than 30 residences in the town, new streets were being graded, and sidewalks were being put down. A chapel was finished there in 1910 and ministered as a mission of St. John the Evangelist Church in Mermentau. Estherwood was incorporated as a village on March 12, 1901, and Henry Feitel was elected its first mayor.[2]

Geography

Estherwood is located at 30°11′3″N 92°27′48″W / 30.18417°N 92.46333°W / 30.18417; -92.46333 (30.184177, -92.463376)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 4.8 km² (1.9 mi²), all land.

Demographics

As of the census[4] of 2000, there were 807 people, 291 households, and 215 families residing in the village. The population density was 166.6/km² (432.1/mi²). There were 314 housing units at an average density of 64.8/km² (168.1/mi²). The racial makeup of the village was 93.06% White, 4.71% African American, 0.74% Native American, 0.12% Asian, and 1.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.25% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Waynesville, Illinois
Newport, North Carolina
New Market, Maryland
St. Helen, Michigan
Castle Shannon, Pennsylvania
Laurium, Michigan
Maurice, Louisiana
Brownville, Nebraska
New Boston, New Hampshire
Deer Park, Maryland
Westfield, Illinois
East Bend, North Carolina
Gordonsville, Virginia
Arrow Rock, Missouri
L'Anse, Michigan
Shillington, Pennsylvania
Kelso, Missouri
Barton, Maryland
Jordan, Montana
Wesson, Mississippi
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Kirklin, Indiana
Port Sanilac, Michigan
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Olla, Louisiana
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Howard City, Michigan
Hemingway, South Carolina
Marianna, Pennsylvania
Beecher, Michigan