Everman, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, family}
{service, military, aircraft}

Everman is a city in Tarrant County, Texas, United States. The population was 5,836 at the 2000 census.

Former Texas Supreme Court Justice Steven Wayne Smith, who served from 2002–2005, was reared in Everman.[3]

Contents

History

Everman was named for an engineer, John W. Everman, of the International-Great Northern Railroad, on the arrival of which the first established anglo-American community developed here in 1904. Postal service and schools were established soon after that.

Until the 1850s, the Kiowa-Apache and Wichita native American tribes inhabited this area.

A World War I flight training school at nearby Barron Field helped develop the economy. The population reached 150 in the 1920s and 450 in the 1950s, exploding to 5,000 in the 1970s when Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was built, stabilizing around 5,800 today.

After the War World 1 Barron Munitions had served as a schoolhouse for African-American schoolchildren, the Everman Garden Club maintains the Texas Historical Marker for the Barron Munitions Building Everman had eight businesses by the middle of 1920s and an estimated population of 138. In 1924, a fire destroyed the bank, a lodge hall that was over the bank, and a grocery store. The election of July 7, 1945, was held and marked the launching Village of Everman. On August 25, 1945, a mayor, a marshal and five aldermen were elected. W. A. Wilson was the first mayor of Everman and the first marshal was Buster Stephenson. The five aldermen were W. B. Dwiggins, Jack Neill, Clyde Pittman, Howard Easter and J. W. Bishop. Everman was looking more like a city the only thing Everman needed was water. Loans and the interest helped build a public water supply system. Volunteer fire department was organized and a police station soon followed. Claude Vaughan's well helped bring the first water supply to the city. The Village of Everman soon became the City of Everman in 1948.During 1966 a huge fire swept the city destroying a café, a drug store and a post office. The businesses relocated in another location. After the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was constructed, the population of Everman increased to more than 5,000 by the mid-1970s. In 1986 the city of Everman adopted the council-manager form of city government. In the early 1990s the community had an estimated 5,672 in 2000 the estimated population was 5,836 and in 2009 the estimated population was 6,027.

Geography

Everman is located at 32°37′49″N 97°17′03″W / 32.630284°N 97.284267°W / 32.630284; -97.284267 (32.630284, -97.284267).[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Rogersville, Missouri
Bonanza, Oregon
Woodbine, Iowa
Merrill, Iowa
Clinton, Utah
Oxbow, North Dakota
Belding, Michigan
Neoga, Illinois
Hannaford, North Dakota
Calvin, North Dakota
Havana, North Dakota
Wolford, North Dakota
Hamilton, North Dakota
Venturia, North Dakota
Marion, Texas
Druid Hills, Kentucky
Loma, North Dakota
Dent, Minnesota
Mission Woods, Kansas
Nekoma, North Dakota
Washington Terrace, Utah
Northlake, Illinois
Pecan Hill, Texas
Spiritwood Lake, North Dakota
Mount Vernon, Kentucky
Bonnieville, Kentucky
Lovelock, Nevada
Fairmeade, Kentucky
New Leipzig, North Dakota
Nezperce, Idaho