Flushing Meadows–Corona Park

related topics
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{water, park, boat}
{line, north, south}
{game, team, player}
{area, part, region}

Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, often referred to as Flushing Meadow Park, Flushing Meadows Park or Flushing Meadows, is located in the New York City borough of Queens, between the Van Wyck Expressway and Grand Central Parkway and stretching from Flushing Bay, at the southern edge of LaGuardia Airport, to Union Turnpike.

The second largest public park in the City of New York (after Pelham Bay Park in The Bronx), it was created as the site of the 1939/1940 New York World's Fair and also hosted the 1964/1965 New York World's Fair. It is maintained and operated by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. The park is at the eastern edge of the area encompassed by Queens Community Board 4.[1]

Contents

Two World's Fairs

The 1,255 acre (5 km²) park was created from the former dumping ground characterized as "a valley of ashes" in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. The site, known at the time as the Corona Ash Dumps, was cleared by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, in preparation for the 1939-1940 World's Fair. Faced with having to dispose of the mountains of ashes, Moses strategically incorporated a significant portion of the refuse into the bases of the Van Wyck Expressway running along the eastern side of the park, the nearby Interboro Parkway (now Jackie Robinson Parkway), and the Long Island Expressway that divides the park into north and south halves. The Grand Central Parkway separates a western lobe from the main part of the northern half, while the east-west Jewel Avenue bisects the southern half.

Some of the buildings from the 1939 Fair were used for the first temporary headquarters of the United Nations from 1946 until it moved in 1951 to its permanent headquarters in Manhattan. The former New York City building was used for the UN General Assembly during that time. This building was later refurbished for the 1964 Fair as the New York City Pavilion, featuring the Panorama of the City of New York, an enormous scale model of the entire city.[2] It is currently the only surviving building from the 1939 Fair, and the home of the Queens Museum of Art, which still houses, and occasionally updates, the Panorama. The Unisphere, built as the theme symbol for the 1964/1965 World's Fair, is the main sculptural feature of the park. It stands on the site occupied by the Perisphere during the earlier Fair.

Full article ▸

related documents
East Dundee, Illinois
S.N.P.J., Pennsylvania
Bethalto, Illinois
Menlo Park, California
Knik River, Alaska
Gilgo-Oak Beach-Captree, New York
Tokyo Disney Resort
Poplar, London
Hope, Alaska
Apple Valley, California
Gerlach-Empire, Nevada
Audubon, Pennsylvania
Spring Valley, New York
Hunters Creek Village, Texas
Brownsville, Pennsylvania
Everson, Washington
Shrewsbury, Missouri
North Beach, San Francisco, California
St. Albans, Queens
New River, Arizona
Santee, California
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Slana, Alaska
Kernersville, North Carolina
Slickville, Pennsylvania
Lapeer, Michigan
Little Elm, Texas
Alsip, Illinois
Burlington, Ohio
Mahwah, New Jersey