Fowler, Indiana

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}
{county, mile, population}
{area, community, home}

Fowler is a town in Center Township, Benton County, Indiana, United States. The population was 2,415 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Lafayette, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

Fowler was platted by Moses Fowler and his wife on October 26, 1872, and originally consisted of 583 lots, though a re-platting on April 8, 1875, expanded it to 1,602 lots and 20 blocks. Several more additions were made to the town over subsequent years.

The town's first home was erected in March 1871 by Scott Shipman, and its first business opened in June of that year, a small general store run by Henry D. Clark. Many more businesses followed over the next few years, including the Henry Jacobs & Son grocery, grain elevators built by L. Templeton, and blacksmith John E. Mitchell, who was also the town's first postmaster (succeeded by grocer Henry Jacobs). In 1874, Fowler became the county seat, which until that time had occupied nearby Oxford.

The town was incorporated in 1875, and its rapid growth is clear from the following list, printed in an 1883 history of Benton County:

"In September, 1875, the town of Fowler contained ten lawyers, one minister, three doctors, one dentist, one baker, two barber shops, three billiard saloons, two blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, three boot and shoe stores, one grain elevator, two dry goods stores, twenty carpenters, one furniture store, two stove and tin stores, one hardware store, one hotel, three restaurants, two drug stores, three millinery establishments, two saloons, two livery stables, three retail groceries, one clothing store, one merchant tailor, one graded school, two printing offices, two lumber yards, two churches and about 1,200 inhabitants."

Fowler is home to the Fowler Ridge Wind Farm.

Geography

Fowler is located at 40°37′6″N 87°19′9″W / 40.61833°N 87.31917°W / 40.61833; -87.31917 (40.618204, -87.319124)[3], in Center Township. U.S. Route 52 and Indiana State Roads 18 and 55 pass through town, and U.S. Route 41 intersects 52 four miles to the northwest.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km²), of which, 1.4 square miles (3.6 km²) of it is land and 0.71% is water.

Demographics

Full article ▸

related documents
Wauconda, Illinois
Woodsboro, Texas
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Lena, Illinois
Rockville (Vernon)
Phil Campbell, Alabama
Brookside, Alabama
Boron, California
West City, Illinois
Medicine Bow, Wyoming
Monongah, West Virginia
Yaphank, New York
South Greenfield, Missouri
Magnet, Nebraska
Fredonia, New York
Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
Monticello, New York
Little Mountain, South Carolina
Blossburg, Pennsylvania
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Elmira Heights, New York
Glade Spring, Virginia
Carroll, Iowa
Milton, North Carolina
Ajo, Arizona
Placerville, California
Picher, Oklahoma
McLean, Texas
Odenton, Maryland
Franklin, Michigan