Güstrow (German pronunciation: [ˈɡʏstʁo]) is a district in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany. It is bounded by (from the north and clockwise) the districts of Bad Doberan, Nordvorpommern, Demmin, Müritz, Parchim and Nordwestmecklenburg.
From 1621 to 1695 the present-day district was occupied by the small duchy of Mecklenburg-Güstrow. Afterwards large parts belonged to the duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, a small portion to the duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (see Mecklenburg).
The district of Güstrow was established in 1994 by merging the former districts of Güstrow, Teterow and Bützow.
This district is situated in the centre of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. The Warnow river runs through the district from the southwest to the north. In the southern part of the district there are several lakes constituting the northern edge of the Müritz lakeland.
Coat of arms
The colours are derived from the arms of the dissolved district of Bützow.
Towns and municipalities
Coordinates: 53°50′N 12°25′E / 53.83°N 12.42°E
Full article ▸