Gladewater, Texas

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{company, market, business}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{game, team, player}
{city, large, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{county, mile, population}
{service, military, aircraft}
{work, book, publish}
{day, year, event}
{water, park, boat}

Gladewater is a city in Gregg and Upshur Counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 6,078 at the 2000 census.

The town is probably most famous as a base during Elvis Presley's early career [1], and also as the town in which Johnny Cash wrote Walk the Line. Gladewater was also a major Boom Town during the early 20th Century with the discovery of oil. Gladewater is currently known as the antiques capital of East Texas with its downtown antique district.

Contents

Geography

It is located at 32°32′34″N 94°56′49″W / 32.54278°N 94.94694°W / 32.54278; -94.94694 (32.542666, -94.946950)[3], primarily within Gregg County.

According to the United States Census Bureau the city has a total area of 12.1 square miles (31.4 km²), of which 11.6 square miles (30.1 km²) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.4 km²) (4.37%) is water.

History

Gladewater is at the intersection of U.S. highways 80 and 271, thirteen miles west of Longview on the boundary between Gregg and Upshur counties. It was founded by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company in 1873 on land bought from Jarrett Dean and Anderson White. A community called St. Clair, two miles to the east, moved to Gladewater when the railroad announced that the only mail stop in the area would be there; residents from Point Pleasant, also bypassed by the railroad, moved to Gladewater. The first post office at Gladewater was established on August 22, 1873. The town's name probably originated from its proximity to Glade Creek, a stream that rose in a rather barren region called the Glades.

In 1874 Gladewater was incorporated with a mayor-alderman government. The incorporation lapsed, and a new charter was not obtained until 1931, when an influx of population necessitated organized city government. In 1955 Gladewater adopted a council-mayor form of government. The population grew slowly during the nineteenth century; the town had only 163 people in 1880 and 259 in 1900. In the area around Gladewater lumbering was a major activity, although farming was also important; cotton was the major crop. In 1908 the town had ten stores, one bank, two blacksmith shops, two hotels, a gin, a sawmill, and a planing mill. It continued to grow slowly until 1931.

Full article ▸

related documents
Wendover, Utah
Ovilla, Texas
Southlake, Texas
Silsbee, Texas
Hurricane, West Virginia
Idalou, Texas
Junction City, Oregon
Alice, Texas
Seabrook, Texas
Port Jervis, New York
Mulvane, Kansas
Kuna, Idaho
Sullivan, Missouri
Ferris, Texas
Lacy Lakeview, Texas
Marmet, West Virginia
Cosmopolis, Washington
Sumner, Washington
O'Donnell, Texas
Vienna, West Virginia
Grand Junction, Tennessee
Shelton, Washington
Waitsburg, Washington
Rothsay, Minnesota
Benton City, Washington
Eden Valley, Minnesota
St. Marys, West Virginia
Saluda, North Carolina
Kemah, Texas
Shoreacres, Texas