Grand Ridge is a village in LaSalle County, Illinois, United States. The population was 546 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Ottawa–Streator Micropolitan Statistical Area.
In 1860, Judge John T. and Phebe J. (Finley) Porter moved to Illinois with their son Ebenezer F.(b. 1859 at New Salem, Fayette CO. PA), and located near Grand Ridge, LaSalle CO., where they lived on a farm until 1872. J.T. was at first a farmer, and afterward a lumberman and grain dealer. In 1872, he moved into the town of Grand Ridge, and built and operated two grain elevators until 1876. In 1882, he moved to Florida and engaged in the lumber business. He founded the town of Grand Ridge, FL, naming it in honor of his old Illinois home.
In 1868, Mr. Nelson Jones (b. May 24, 1819 in Ross CO., O), Republican and Methodist, bought two houses, two lots and a shop valued at $800 and followed the same occupation for forty years; he was the first blacksmith in Grand Ridge Village. In 1870, the Fox River Division of the CHicago, Burlington adn Quincy (CB&Q) Railroad was completed and put in operation. THe first business house was built by E. Core the same year.
two contradicting accounts of the Presbyterian establishment: Account 1:
In the Spring of 1870, Robert Morgan(born Aug 18,1838), son of Caleb & Nancy Antram, and Sarah Woodward moved to Grand Ridge, LaSalle CO., IL  with 4 year old son Caleb Ewing Antram (b. Feb 12, 1865) after their daughter Laura died in March 1868 at just 6 years old. William, Nellie, Mary E, Joseph W, Lewis W and Ethel May were all born to the couple  while living on the Antram homestead from 1869-1912.
In 1871, Cumberland Presbyterian was organized in Grand Ridge, IL. where Robert M. Antram was an elder ever since. From 1886-1891, it was known as Hudson Church. Membership numbered 145 in 1890 and church structure was erected that year. In 1891, name changed to Grand Ridge by action of Mackinaw Presbytery. R.M. Antram was Clerk of the Session and Post-Office until 1907  when the organization became defunct and did not participate in reunion with Presbyterian Church USA.
Account 2: The Presbyterian church in Grand RIdge was organized June 17, 1865, in the Van Doren school house, by a committee from the Peoria Presbytery, consisting of the Rev. Robert Johnson adn Rev. John Marquis. The original members were Wm. McMillan, Jane B. McMillan, Araminta Poundstone, Joseph Boyd, Elvira Boyd, J.T. Van Doren, Sarah C. Van Doren, James H. Boyd and Isabella Boyd. THe house of worship was erected in 1864, at an expense of $1`,800, and soon after, a parsonage, costing $800. THe first pastor was Rev. John Moore, who remained some time.
Full article ▸