Greig, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{water, park, boat}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{island, water, area}
{area, community, home}
{day, year, event}
{county, mile, population}
{album, band, music}
{household, population, family}
{math, number, function}
{food, make, wine}
{village, small, smallsup}

Greig is a town in Lewis County, New York, United States. The population was 1,365 at the 2000 census. Since 1878 the town has been named for a landowner, John Greig. Prior to that it bore the name, Brantingham, derived from the name used by the indigenous Indian tribes. Its use survives for a hamlet within the boundaries of the town, as a postal identity, and for the lake to the east of the town.

The town is in the southeastern part of the county and is north of Utica.

Contents

History

The native tribes who resided in the area referred to it as Brantingham, and the town first was settled by peoples of European descent around 1796, who adopted that name. A town government was formed in 1828 as the Town of Brantingham, separating it from land delineated as a portion of the Town of Watson.

In 1832, the name of the town was changed to Greig in honor of a landowner. A southern portion of the town was used to form the Town of Lyonsdale in 1873, reducing the size of Greig to its current boundaries.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 94.3 square miles (244.3 km²), of which, 92.9 square miles (240.6 km²) of it is land and 1.4 square miles (3.7 km²) of it (1.51%) is water.

The eastern town line is the border of Herkimer County, and the western town line is defined by the Black River.

The eastern half of the town is inside the Adirondack Park. It is the largest park in the contiguous United States (6.1 million acres), the largest National Historic Landmark, and the largest area protected by any U. S. state. The impetus to protect the land began in 1870 and by 1885, legislation had been passed to protect the land. The park was established in 1892. The park was given state constitutional protection in 1894, so that the state-owned lands within its bounds would be protected forever (forever wild). The part of the Adirondack State Park under government control is referred to as the Adirondack Forest Preserve, which became a National Historic Landmark in 1963.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 1,365 people, 533 households, and 386 families residing in the town. The population density was 14.7 people per square mile (5.7/km²). There were 1,260 housing units at an average density of 13.6/sq mi (5.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.90% White, 0.07% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, and 0.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.59% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Free Soil, Michigan
Kent, Connecticut
Cumberland County, Virginia
Winthrop, Washington
Tabiona, Utah
Stowe, Vermont
Snoqualmie Pass, Washington
Edna Bay, Alaska
Wimberley, Texas
Seaford, New York
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
Hot Springs, North Carolina
Kane, Pennsylvania
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
Peachland, North Carolina
Lake Barcroft, Virginia
Charlestown, Rhode Island
Annandale, Virginia
Bath (Berkeley Springs), West Virginia
Hamburg, Pennsylvania
Romulus, New York
Altmar, New York
Vienna, New York
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Northwest Harbor, New York
Chincoteague, Virginia
Medicine Park, Oklahoma
Copalis Beach, Washington
Hyrum, Utah
Banner Elk, North Carolina