Guilford County, North Carolina

related topics
{county, mile, population}
{black, white, people}
{household, population, female}
{war, force, army}
{area, part, region}
{township, household, population}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{build, building, house}
{law, state, case}
{city, population, household}
{town, population, incorporate}

Guilford County is a county located in the U.S. state of North Carolina. In 2007, the Census Bureau estimated the county's population to be 465,931. Its seat is Greensboro[1]. Since 1938, an additional county court has been located in High Point, North Carolina, making Guilford one of only a handful of counties nationwide with a dual court system. The county is part of the Piedmont Triad metropolitan area.

Contents

History

Beginning in the 1740s, European settlers arrived in the region in search of fertile and affordable land. These first settlers included German Reforned and Lutherans in the east, British Quakers in the south and west, and Scotch-Irish Presbyterians in the center of today's Guilford County.[2] The county was formed in 1771 from parts of Rowan County and Orange County. It was named for Francis North, 1st Earl of Guilford, father of Frederick North, Lord North, British Prime Minister from 1770 to 1782.

Friedens Church, whose name means "peace" in German, is in eastern Guilford County, at 6001 North Carolina Route 12, northwest of Gibsonville. It is a historic church that has operated continuously since the earliest European settlers came to this area. According to a history of the church, Rev. John Ulrich Giesendanner led his Lutheran congregation from Pennsylvania in 1740, into the part of North Carolina around Haw River, Reedy Fork, Eno River, Alamance Creek, Travis Creek, Beaver Creek and Deep River. The first building used by Friedens church was made of logs in 1745 and served for 25 years. The second building, completed about 1771, was much more substantial and remained in use until it was replaced in May, 1871. The third building was destroyed by fire on January 8, 1939. Only the columns in front survived. The structure was rebuilt and reopened in May 1939.[3]

Full article ▸

related documents
McIntosh County, Georgia
Pendleton County, Kentucky
Neshoba County, Mississippi
Forsyth County, North Carolina
Buncombe County, North Carolina
Belknap County, New Hampshire
Scotts Bluff County, Nebraska
Crawford County, Illinois
Andrew County, Missouri
Henry County, Kentucky
Scott County, Iowa
Greene County, North Carolina
Madison County, Kentucky
Rowan County, Kentucky
Bell County, Kentucky
Hickman County, Kentucky
Jessamine County, Kentucky
Graham County, North Carolina
Le Sueur County, Minnesota
Cass County, Nebraska
Douglas County, Missouri
Pulaski County, Kentucky
Twin Falls County, Idaho
Laurel County, Kentucky
Pine County, Minnesota
Barren County, Kentucky
Wilkin County, Minnesota
Pike County, Kentucky
Plymouth County, Iowa
Bleckley County, Georgia