Hanover, Pennsylvania

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{school, student, university}
{war, force, army}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{food, make, wine}
{build, building, house}
{album, band, music}
{land, century, early}
{city, large, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{@card@, make, design}
{city, population, household}
{area, part, region}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{day, year, event}
{group, member, jewish}
{car, race, vehicle}
{film, series, show}

Hanover is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, 19 miles (31 km) southwest of York and 54 miles (87 km) north-northwest of Baltimore, Maryland. The town is situated in a productive agricultural region. The population was 14,535 at the 2000 census. The borough is served by a 717 area code and the Zip Codes of 17331-34. Hanover is named after the German city of Hannover.

Contents

Geography

Hanover is located at 39°48′26″N 76°59′5″W / 39.80722°N 76.98472°W / 39.80722; -76.98472 (39.807297, -76.984747).[1] Hanover is 5 miles (8.0 km) north of the Mason-Dixon line.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 9.5 km² (3.7 mi²), all land.

History

Hanover was settled in about 1730 and incorporated in 1815.

In 1727, John Digges, an Irish nobleman of Prince George's County, Maryland, obtained a grant of 10,000 acres (40 km2) of land where Hanover is now located from Charles Calvert, the fourth Lord Baltimore. The area was called Digges Choice, and in 1730, a group of Catholics started the settlement that became known as the Conewego Settlement. Settlers from both Maryland and Pennsylvania began moving into the area in the 1730s. At this time, the northern border of Maryland and the southern border of Pennsylvania did not agree with each other, and the area that is now Hanover was in the disputed area claimed by both states. This led to numerous disputes about property ownership from the 1730s until 1760. The dispute was settled when Maryland and Pennsylvania hired British experts Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon to survey what became known as the Mason–Dixon Line. This line was surveyed between 1763 and 1767, and put an end to decades of disputes over rights and ownership.[2]

Full article ▸

related documents
Locust Fork, Alabama
Hamden, Connecticut
North Potomac, Maryland
Prince Frederick, Maryland
Cheshire, Connecticut
New City, New York
Santan, Arizona
Braddock Heights, Maryland
Bronxville, New York
Middletown, Delaware
East Meadow, New York
Oak Park, California
Cedarhurst, New York
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Whitehall, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Millbourne, Pennsylvania
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
Indian Head, Maryland
Forest Heights, Maryland
Eastgate CDP, Washington
Dickson City, Pennsylvania
Carol Stream, Illinois
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Pahrump, Nevada
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Lakemoor, Illinois
Cashiers, North Carolina
Bailey's Crossroads, Virginia
Port Dickinson, New York
Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania