Harwich

related topics
{land, century, early}
{city, large, area}
{war, force, army}
{island, water, area}
{son, year, death}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}
{work, book, publish}
{church, century, christian}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Coordinates: 51°56′08″N 1°15′45″E / 51.9355°N 1.2625°E / 51.9355; 1.2625

Harwich (pronounced /ˈhærɪtʃ/[1]) is a town in Essex, England and one of the Haven ports, located on the coast with the North Sea to the east. It is in the Tendring district. Nearby places include Felixstowe to the northeast, Ipswich to the northwest, Colchester to the southwest and Clacton-on-Sea to the south. It is the northernmost coastal town within Essex.

Its position on the estuaries of the Stour and Orwell rivers and its usefulness to mariners as the only safe anchorage between the Thames and Humber led to a long period of maritime significance, both civil and military. The town became a naval base in 1657 and was heavily fortified,[2] with Harwich Redoubt, Beacon Hill Battery, and Bath Side Battery.

Harwich today is contiguous with Dovercourt and the two, along with Parkeston, are often referred to collectively as Harwich.

Contents

History

The town's name means "military settlement," from Old English here-wic.[3]

The town received its charter in 1238, although there is evidence of earlier settlement - for example, a record of a chapel in 1177, and some indications of a possible Roman presence.

Full article ▸

related documents
Ripponden
Abakan
Barnsbury
Appingedam
New England Confederation
Balanjar
Etten-Leur
Spijkenisse
Borne, Overijssel
Hoogeveen
Elland
Achzib
Qarshi
Bavarii
Bartolomé de las Casas
Nieuw-Lekkerland
Fukushima, Fukushima
Drachten
Mölln, Schleswig-Holstein
Beverwijk
Bethio
Joseph Billings
Zeist
Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht
Warner's Grant, Vermont
Terneuzen
Belišće
Elburg
Best, Netherlands
Randolph (ship)