Hingham, Montana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{company, market, business}

Hingham is a town in Hill County, Montana, United States. The population was 157 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History of "The Town on the Square"

Hingham is a small agricultural community on the Hi-line of northern Montana. The town was founded on February 11, 1910 and developed as a grain storage and shipping center along the Great Northern Railway. In 1909 M.A. Johnson and P.A. Peterson came to the area to homestead, they purchased a relinquishment for the townsite. A year later they had a 22-block town plotted out on a broad grid with a central square as its dominant feature, hence the nickname "The Town on the Square". In its heyday Hingham had around forty businesses surrounding the square and many more leading off from it. Much of this business district has faded into history along with two of the four remaining historic buildings on the square that burned in late 2010 the former Montana Woodmen of America Hall and the former Hingham State Bank(the most architectural building in town). Local efforts have developed the square into one of the best parks on the Hi-line with lush grass, mature trees and a picnic shelter. A landmark of the town is the water tower built in 1958 it towers 100 feet tall and can be seen for miles. Hingham was incorporated in 1917 and has been governed by a mayor and town council ever since. The town had a state of the art hospital in its early years known as the Hingham Sanitarium. Built in 1913 by Dr. A.A. Husser it later burned down in 1919 dealing a severe blow to the community. Plans were made to replace the hospital with a more substantial structure but never materialized. Several churches were organized in 1910 with two in the process of constuction that first year. The Hingham Catholic Church met in various locations including the upstairs of a saloon where bar noises could be heard during services. In 1914 their church was completed with a tall steeple and named Our Lady of Ransom. In 1959 a new church was constructed and the old church moved to Rocky Boy until it gave way to a larger building in 1981. The Hingham Lutheran Church met in several locations as well until they bought and moved the former Evangelical Church to their current location in the 1930's. The United Methodist Church built a building in 1912 and functioned for many years. The Catholic, Lutheran and the more recent Four Square Gospel church are what remain today. Hingham Union Cemetery is the second largest cemetery in Hill County with over 355 graves. During the flu epidemic, the local undertaker left town in the middle of the night taking the cemetery records with him and leaving the cemetery in disarray. Locals remember digging graves and hitting the wood of coffins buried in supposedly vacant plots. There are a number of graves that are unknown and unmarked. Hingham cemetery is unique in that it once had an area known as potters field where people that committed suicide or couldn't afford to buy a plot were placed. Hingham's cemetery was the unofficial Catholic cemetery of the hi-line in its early years. Students in Hingham met in several buildings around town until a school was built in 1914. The building was known to sway in the bad wind storms. In 1930 a new school building was constructed with a gymnasium added in 1936 several additions were made in later years including a indoor swimming pool. The school mascot was the Hingham Rangers with red, black and white as their colors. Due to shrinking enrollment the schools have consolidated to maintain a school in the area. Hingham and Rudyard consolidated schools in 1981 creating Blue Sky schools with Eagles as their mascot and blue and white as their colors. Another consolidation occurred in 2005 creating North Star Schools which is a merger of Rudyard and Hingham(Blue Sky), Gildford and Kremlin(KG)schools. Their mascot is the Knights with blue and black as their colors. Hingham hosted a school reunion on July 9th, 2010 and its Centennial Celebration on July 10th, 2010.

Full article ▸

related documents
Guilford, Connecticut
Arcadia, Louisiana
Lincoln Park, Texas
Ruby, South Carolina
Westmoreland, Tennessee
Smithfield, New York
Iaeger, West Virginia
Reedsville, West Virginia
Arlington, North Carolina
Springfield, New Hampshire
Morningside, Maryland
Moorefield, West Virginia
North Brentwood, Maryland
Sylvester, West Virginia
Perkins, Oklahoma
Northfield, New Hampshire
Piermont, New Hampshire
Deering, New Hampshire
North Crows Nest, Indiana
Pomfret, Vermont
Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
Surry, New Hampshire
Hartland, Vermont
Marlborough, Connecticut
Amo, Indiana
Plymouth, Vermont
Lincolnville, South Carolina
Oakesdale, Washington
Chelsea, South Dakota
Fairmount Heights, Maryland