Indianola, Washington

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{county, mile, population}
{water, park, boat}
{service, military, aircraft}

Indianola is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kitsap County, Washington, United States, located on the north shore of Port Madison on the Port Madison Indian Reservation, home of the Suquamish Indian Tribe. The population was 3,026 at the 2000 census. It was originally established as a summer community and was a stop for Mosquito Fleet ferries until the 1950s.

Contents

Geography

Indianola is located at 47°45′5″N 122°31′22″W / 47.75139°N 122.52278°W / 47.75139; -122.52278 (47.751512, -122.522878).[3] It lies on the north shore of Port Madison, just east of Miller Bay. It is south of Kingston and northeast of Suquamish.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.3 square miles (13.8 km²), of which, 4.8 square miles (12.6 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.2 km²) of it (8.82%) is water.

History

Indianola was formed on the portion of the Port Madison Indian Reservation which had been allotted to Kakue Beedee in 1886. The allotment eventually passed to the sons of Alpheus Loughrey, a white man who had married Katie, the daughter of Beedee's wife Tu-Tue-Tue by a previous marriage.

Development began in 1916 with the formation of the Indianola Beach Land Company by W. L. Gazzam to promote real estate sales on the land owned by the Loughreys. A dock and a store were built as amenities to attract buyers; a second store, the Beachcomber, was built the next year. From the beginning, Indianola has been a vacation community, with its population inflating considerably in the summertime.

In the early 20th century, most transportation on Puget Sound was by steamer, and a community’s dock was often its only lifeline to the outside world. Such was the case for the young community of Indianola Beach, and by 1918 a steamer was docking there every weekend. Daily ferry service was initiated in 1919 when Carl Hendrix organized twelve passengers to pay in advance for one year’s daily service between Indianola Beach and Seattle. Hendrix and his wife established a school the same year.

Cyrus Beede Pickrell, who had been Indian Agent for the Port Madison Reservation, moved to Indianola Beach from Suquamish with his family in 1920. Postal service had been discontinued, so when the Pickrells opened a new store, they housed the postal operation at Indianola Beach with Cyrus as Postmaster. Around this time, the Postmaster General took issue with the double name of Indianola Beach and the post office was renamed Kitsap in honor of Chief Kitsap of the Suquamish tribe.

Full article ▸

related documents
California, Maryland
Smallwood, New York
Ogden, North Carolina
Hillcrest, Rockland County, New York
He'eia, Hawaii
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Highland Springs, Virginia
Lakewood, Illinois
Fairfield Glade, Tennessee
Goldsby, Oklahoma
North Amherst, Massachusetts
Schuylerville, New York
Great Falls, Virginia
Bartonville, Texas
Tornado, West Virginia
Inwood, New York
Rye Brook, New York
Remsenburg-Speonk, New York
Cold Springs, Nevada
Oakmont, Pennsylvania
Spanish Lake, Missouri
Fair Oaks, Georgia
Granite Bay, California
Marvin, North Carolina
'Ewa Gentry, Hawaii
Laureles, Texas
South Hill, Washington
Mount Airy, Georgia
South Fallsburg, New York
Hillsmere Shores, Maryland