Jasper, Texas

related topics
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{county, mile, population}
{school, student, university}
{food, make, wine}
{work, book, publish}
{car, race, vehicle}

Jasper is a city in Jasper County, Texas, United States, on U.S. highways 96 and 190, State Highway 63, and Sandy Creek in north central Jasper County. The population was 8,247 at the 2000 census (2006 estimate-7,465). It is the county seat of Jasper County[3] and is situated in East Texas, specifically the Deep East Texas subregion. Jasper is about 110 miles (180 km) northeast of Houston, and about 72 miles north of Beaumont .

Contents

History

The area was settled around 1824 by John Bevil. 30 families occupied the settlement as early as 1830, when it was known as Snow River or Bevil's Settlement after John R. Bevil one of the earliest European-American settlers.

In 1835 it was renamed for William Jasper, a hero of the American Revolution who was killed attempting to plant the American colors at the storming of Savannah in 1779.[4] Jasper became the county seat in 1844. During the Civil War the town housed a Confederate quartermaster depot and served as a major center for the C.S.A.'s communication, transportation, and supply. Jasper was a Confederate Army headquarters for a nine-county area. Following the war, Union troops occupied Jasper, camping in town square, and led by General George Custer.[5] Antebellum educational institutions included the Jasper Male and Female High School, which operated until 1878, when it became the Southeast Texas Male and Female College, and Jasper Collegiate Institute, which operated from 1851 until 1874. The population declined to 360 in 1870, reflecting the hardships of the Civil War, but by 1885 had risen to 1,000.

A weekly newspaper, the Jasper Newsboy, has been published continuously since 1865. It is considered the oldest continuously published weekly newspaper in Texas.


In 1896 Jasper had a population of 1,200. With the arrival of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway early in the twentieth century, Jasper grew into a center for the manufacture of timber products. Lumber from two sawmills, with a daily capacity of 125,000 board feet (295 m³), goods from basket and stave factories, logs, ties, poles, and pulpwood were shipped in 200 cars per month.

Full article ▸

related documents
Milford, Delaware
Warren, Pennsylvania
Long Beach, Mississippi
Morrilton, Arkansas
Lehi, Utah
Sidney, Montana
Princeton, Minnesota
Washington, Missouri
Weimar, Texas
Coalville, Utah
Liberal, Kansas
Ball Ground, Georgia
New Haven, Missouri
Stephenville, Texas
Pembina, North Dakota
Marine City, Michigan
Red Bluff, California
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Toppenish, Washington
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Soldier, Kansas
Gonzales, Texas
Leavenworth, Washington
Camden, Tennessee
Weir, Texas
Jacksonville, Oregon
Tell City, Indiana
Mason, Texas
Cornelia, Georgia