Laguna Seca, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{school, student, university}

Laguna Seca is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas, United States. The population was 251 at the 2000 census. It is part of the McAllenEdinburgMission Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

Laguna Seca is located at 26°16′41″N 97°55′28″W / 26.27806°N 97.92444°W / 26.27806; -97.92444 (26.278125, -97.924395)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.8 km²), all of it land.

History

The Laguna Seca Ranch was initially established in the year 1867 by Macedonio Vela Senior and his wife Mercedes Chapa Cantu. Approximately ten years earlier, Macedonio Vela Senior fled from Mexico to escape the wave of executions associated with the War of Reform. In 1867 he purchased one square league (4,428 acres (18 km2)) of the Santa Anita Land Grant from John and Salome Balli McAllen.

In the era spanning 1880 to 1890, he acquired more adjacent real estate holdings to yield a ranch over 75,000 acres (300 km²) in extent; during this decade he grazed cattle, horses, and mules, and became an exporter of donkeys to Cuba. The first citrus trees in Hidalgo County were planted within the ranch property. Vela's grandson, Reynaldo Vela, discovered an artesian well which supplies a lake of about 5 acres (20,000 m2) in size, which lake was historically and inexplicably called Dry Lake. In the year 1975 a historical marker was placed at the ranch. In recent times family members manage the ranch holding, although it is subdivided into three tangent parcels.

In 1871, his daughter, Carlota, grew the first orange trees in Hidalgo County from the seeds of a fruit given her by a traveling priest. This is now an important citrus-producing area. The ranch had grown to 80,000 acres (320 km2) when a school was built here in 1892. Delfina Post Office, named for another one of Vela's daughters, was opened in 1893 and a Catholic church in 1894. Laguna Seca Ranch is still owned by the Vela family. (1975)[1] A historic cemetery exists on the ranch property.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Aneth, Utah
Hollins, Virginia
Etna, Wyoming
Barton Creek, Texas
Central Gardens, Texas
Halls Crossing, Utah
San Carlos, Texas
South Alamo, Texas
North Sultan, Washington
Bloomington, Texas
Lost Creek, Texas
Centerville, Washington
Los Ebanos, Texas
Coolidge, Texas
Maple Heights-Lake Desire, Washington
Terrace Heights, Washington
Lake Bosworth, Washington
Green Acres, Washington
Doyle, Texas
Wells Branch, Texas
Fishersville, Virginia
Fowlerton, Texas
West Side Highway, Washington
Otis Orchards-East Farms, Washington
Monte Alto, Texas
Annetta, Texas
Ronald, Washington
Serenada, Texas
Coyanosa, Texas
Petersboro, Utah