Lebanon, Connecticut

related topics
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}
{government, party, election}
{son, year, death}
{war, force, army}
{school, student, university}
{day, year, event}
{group, member, jewish}
{line, north, south}
{specie, animal, plant}
{car, race, vehicle}
{village, small, smallsup}

Lebanon is a town in New London County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 6,907 at the 2000 census. The town lies just to the northwest of Norwich, 20 miles (32 km) north of New London, and 20 miles (32 km) east of Hartford. The farming town is best known for its role in the American Revolution, where it was a major base of American operations, and its historic town Green, which is one of the largest in the nation and the only one still used partially for agriculture.[citation needed]

Contents

History

From Poquechaneed to Lebanon

Lebanon was originally settled by the Mohegan Indians, an Algonquin-speaking tribe that inhabited the upper Thames Valley in eastern Connecticut. The area was known as Poquechaneed, and used primarily for hunting.[2]

The town of Lebanon has its origins with the settlers of Norwich, who wanted to expand beyond the “nine miles square” they had bought from the Mohegan sachem Uncas. In 1663, the first grant in the area was given in to Maj. John Mason, deputy governor of the Connecticut colony; the next year, Mason accepted 500 acres (2.0 km2) northwest of Norwich. This area, known as "Pomakuck" or "Pomocook" by the Mohegans, is now the Goshen Hill area of Lebanon. In 1666, Connecticut granted an additional 120 acres (0.49 km2) to the Rev. James Fitch, minister of Norwich, adjacent to Maj. Mason's land which was now known as Cedar Swamp. The Mohegans conferred their blessing on the grants by giving an additional seven-mile (11 km) strip to Maj. Mason's son in 1675, who split the land with the Rev. Fitch, his father-in-law. This area is now known as "Fitch and Mason's Mile," or just "The Mile."[3] In 1692, Uncas' son, Sachem Oweneco, sold twenty-five miles to four men from Norwich and Stonington (including Sam Mason, another son of Maj. Mason), known as the "Five Mile Purchase" or "Five Mile Square" (being five miles (8 km) on each side). With the Purchase, most of the modern-day town of Lebanon was established.[3]

Full article ▸

related documents
Seekonk, Massachusetts
Sherborn, Massachusetts
Coventry, Rhode Island
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Front Royal, Virginia
Murfreesboro, North Carolina
Natick, Massachusetts
Mendon, Massachusetts
Dracut, Massachusetts
Live Oak, Santa Cruz County, California
Warren, Rhode Island
Moclips, Washington
Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania
Kanosh, Utah
Mahopac, New York
Presidio, Texas
Newport, Rhode Island
Cave-In-Rock, Illinois
Revere, Massachusetts
Catonsville, Maryland
Newbury, Massachusetts
St. Martinville, Louisiana
Bedford, Massachusetts
New Gloucester, Maine
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Limerick, Maine
Aberdeen Township, New Jersey
Liverpool, New York
Pownal, Vermont