Liberty, Texas

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, family}
{household, population, female}
{township, household, population}
{area, part, region}
{county, mile, population}
{city, large, area}
{work, book, publish}
{build, building, house}

Liberty is a city in and the county seat of Liberty County, Texas, United States[3] and a part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown metropolitan area. The population was 8,033 at the 2000 census.

Liberty is the third oldest city in the state—established in 1831 on the banks of the Trinity River. The city also has an exact replica of the Liberty Bell from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Its area code is 936 and its ZIP code is 77575.

Contents

History

Liberty, Texas is the county seat of Liberty County and the third oldest town in Texas. Texas heroes William B. Travis, Sam Houston, and David Burnet all practiced law in Liberty. Three brothers from Liberty died at the Alamo, while some 50 Liberty citizens fought in Battle of San Jacinto in 1836 when Texas won its independence. Liberty is located on State Highway 146 and U.S. Highway 90 in the south central part of Liberty County and the Houston, Texas Metropolitan Area. The site is in a major oil and gas production area served primarily by the Union Pacific Railroad. Liberty once stood at the head of navigation, both steamboat and barge, on the Trinity River.

The town was founded near the sites of a Spanish settlement called Atascosito (established in 1756) and Champ d'Asile, a French colony established in 1818. The area was first occupied by American squatters as early as 1818, when it was still under Spanish law. Settlers along the Atascosito Road, which crossed the Trinity three miles to the north of the present Highway 90 western city entrance, petitioned unsuccessfully to be included in Stephen F. Austin's colony.

Subsequently, under Mexican law, land commissioner José Francisco Madero established an office in the settlement in the Coahuila-Texas province and on May 5, 1831, granted thirty-six land titles there. Thus was formed a new municipality, Villa de la Santísima Trinidad de la Libertad translated “Village of the Most Holy Trinity of Liberty.” Hugh B. Johnston was made alcalde. In this Anglo-American colonization period, according to some sources, the town shortened its name to Liberty, honoring both the Spanish name and after Liberty, Mississippi, from which many of the early settlers had come to Liberty, Texas.

But the history of the Liberty area actually was recorded much earlier in maps and documents. From these earliest records and maps available of this area, documents show the Indian inhabitants were called the Orcoquisac (Akokisa or Arkokisac) tribe. The most accessible, and therefore, most frequently used route into the interior was the river and it was usually given the name of the Indian tribe indigenous to the area. Thus, the Trinity River of today was, in all probability, known as the Arkokisac River.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Arlington, South Dakota
Maza, North Dakota
De Smet, South Dakota
Carrington, North Dakota
War, West Virginia
Woodhaven, Michigan
Checotah, Oklahoma
Fountain City, Wisconsin
Coolidge, Arizona
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Redfield, South Dakota
Ammon, Idaho
Carrizo Springs, Texas
Winner, South Dakota
Decatur, Texas
Attalla, Alabama
Ionia, Michigan
Mason, Michigan
Marion, Iowa
Moose Lake, Minnesota
Richmond Heights, Missouri
St. Johns, Arizona
Dell Rapids, South Dakota
Hamilton, Ohio
Iron River, Michigan
Brandon, South Dakota
Meadows Place, Texas
Nashwauk, Minnesota
Phenix City, Alabama