Little Wolf, Wisconsin

related topics
{household, population, family}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{township, household, population}
{land, century, early}
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}
{school, student, university}

Little Wolf is a town in Waupaca County, Wisconsin, United States. Little Wolf is also the name of a former unincorporated community at the southern edge of the town.



The town was first settled by William Goldberg in 1848, who was joined by George E. and J.P. More in 1849, and James and Peter Meiklejohn in 1850.[3] The first settlements straddled the river on the southern border of the township. The town was at first known as Centerville, and was organized on March 5, 1852. On November 15, 1854 the town changed its name to Little Wolf.[4] After Jack Brickley built the first bridge across the river in 1858, it was also known as Brickley Bridge, but the name Little Wolf stuck after A.P. Jones established a new town post office in January 1859.

The Town of Royalton separated from Little Wolf in 1853. The towns Town of Union was separated from Little Wolf in 1857, with the Town of Dupont separating from the Town of Union in 1864. [5]

The area grew fairly quickly in just ten years. Goldberg and the Mores built a sawmill there in 1849. Andrew Van Adestine fired up a smithy, Dan Smith and A.P. Jones opened groceries, and Jack Brickley bridged the river. Although Peter Meiklejohn set aside a room in his house for the village's first teacher, Miss Fortner, to use as a class room in 1853, the village raised a school house in 1857, the same year that Meikeljohn opened a grist mill on the southwest bank of the river. A two-story hotel, also operated by the Meiklejohns, stood near the grist mill.

Little Wolf never grew much bigger, though, and probably began to decline in the 1870s, after another lumbermill was built upriver in 1871, and the railroad was routed through Manawa in 1873. Up until recently, the hotel and the foundations of the grist mill were all that remained to show that the village ever existed. Today, even the hotel is gone.


According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 34.0 square miles (87.9 km²), of which, 33.5 square miles (86.8 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.1 km²) of it (1.27%) is water.


As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 1,445 people, 511 households, and 414 families residing in the town. The population density was 43.1 people per square mile (16.6/km²). There were 544 housing units at an average density of 16.2/sq mi (6.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.89% White, 0.21% African American, 0.14% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.35% from other races, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.97% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Ruby, Wisconsin
Lockland, Ohio
Abrams, Wisconsin
Sugar Bush Knolls, Ohio
Dennison, Ohio
Amberg, Wisconsin
Harrisburg, Ohio
Holland, Ohio
Plymouth, Ohio
Blanchardville, Wisconsin
Chardon, Ohio
Wood, Wisconsin
Ottawa, Wisconsin
Richford, Wisconsin
Springwater, Wisconsin
Deerfield, Waushara County, Wisconsin
St. Lawrence, Wisconsin
Dexter, Wisconsin
Cary, Wisconsin
Rock, Wood County, Wisconsin
Algoma, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
Mount Morris, Wisconsin
Aurora, Waushara County, Wisconsin
Wyoming, Waupaca County, Wisconsin
Oasis, Wisconsin
Clayton, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
Cazenovia, Wisconsin
Spring Valley, Wisconsin
Mukwa, Wisconsin
Genesee, Wisconsin