Mandeville, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, large, area}
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{album, band, music}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{water, park, boat}
{town, population, incorporate}
{car, race, vehicle}
{day, year, event}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Mandeville is a city in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 12,421 in 2008. Mandeville is located on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, south of Interstate 12. It is across the lake from the city of New Orleans and its southshore suburbs. It is part of the New Orleans–MetairieKenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Etymology

Mandeville is the name of two villages in Normandy, France. It means 'big farm' (from Magna Villa) in medieval Norman French.

History

The area had long been agricultural land when the town of Mandeville was laid out in 1834 by developer Bernard Xavier de Marigny de Mandeville, more often known as Bernard de Marigny. In 1840 Mandeville was incorporated as a town. It became a popular summer destination for well-to-do New Orleanians wishing to escape the city's heat.

In the mid-19th century, regular daily steam-boat traffic between New Orleans and Mandeville began, and by the end of the Victorian era, it had become a popular weekend destination of the New Orleans middle class as well. Bands would play music on the ships going across the lake and at pavilions and dance-halls in Mandeville, and Mandeville became one of the first places where the new "jazz" music was heard outside of New Orleans. Bunk Johnson, Buddy Petit, Papa Celestin, George Lewis, Kid Ory, Edmond Hall, Chester Zardis, and many other early jazz artists regularly played in Mandeville.

Two buildings from early jazz history still stand in Mandeville. Ruby's Roadhouse has been in continuous operation since the 1920s and is still a popular bar and live music venue today. The Dew Drop Social and Benevolent Hall, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, opened in January 1895. It closed with the onset of the Great Depression and was only used for storage for decades, preserving the dance hall unchanged from the early 20th century, until it reopened in 2000 as the Dew Drop Jazz & Social Hall, a live jazz venue. (This was one of the earliest "Dew Drop" dance halls; venues across the South were similarly named, including the club in New Orleans where Little Richard got his start.)

Full article ▸

related documents
Woodburn, Oregon
Leland, Mississippi
Cambridge, Maryland
Ventura, California
Picayune, Mississippi
Water Valley, Mississippi
Hamilton, Montana
New Carrollton, Maryland
Russell, Kentucky
Mill Creek, Washington
Dyersburg, Tennessee
Belt, Montana
Herriman, Utah
Stanfield, Oregon
Wright City, Missouri
Durand, Michigan
East Tawas, Michigan
Portage, Michigan
Salisbury, Missouri
Wapato, Washington
Elmore City, Oklahoma
Mansfield, Missouri
Hewitt, Texas
Piedmont, Missouri
Lebanon, Oregon
Monmouth, Oregon
Hurstbourne, Kentucky
Edcouch, Texas
Blomkest, Minnesota
Burkburnett, Texas