Marquette, Iowa

related topics
{city, population, household}
{line, north, south}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{city, large, area}

Marquette is a city in Clayton County, Iowa, United States. The population was 421 at the 2000 census. The city, which is located on the Mississippi River, is named after Jesuit missionary Jacques Marquette, who along with Louis Joliet discovered the Mississippi River just southeast of the city on June 17, 1673.

Contents

History

Marquette is located directly across from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and the two cities are connected by U.S. Highway 18, which crosses the river on the Marquette-Joliet Bridge. Effigy Mounds National Monument and the Yellow River State Forest are a few miles to the north. The city of McGregor, Iowa is located just to the south. Marquette itself was originally incorporated as North McGregor in 1874, and it served as a railroad terminus for its southern neighbor. Along with McGregor, the city became a major hub on the railroad, as grain from throughout Iowa and Minnesota was sent through the city en route to Lake Michigan. Initially trains had to be ferried across the river between Marquette and Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in order to continue their journey, but this system came to an end when Prairie du Chien businessman John Lawler had a permanent pontoon bridge built to connect the two cities' rail lines. Marquette subsequently became home to a major rail yard, which even as late as 1920 was the busiest in Iowa, employing 400 people. Not too long afterwards, the railroad's significance declined, the last passenger train stopped in Marquette in 1960, and the pontoon bridge was disassembled in 1961. Today the city is a tourist destination, most notable for the being home to an Isle of Capri riverboat casino.

Geography

Marquette is located at 43°2′34″N 91°11′3″W / 43.04278°N 91.18417°W / 43.04278; -91.18417 (43.042838, -91.184177)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.3 km²), of which, 1.2 square miles (3.2 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (4.69%) is water.

Full article ▸

related documents
Gaylord, Minnesota
Valley City, North Dakota
Grafton, West Virginia
Lithia Springs, Georgia
Union, Ohio
Charleston, Tennessee
Rushford, Minnesota
New Castle, Indiana
La Vista, Nebraska
Burley, Idaho
Countryside, Kansas
Hastings, Michigan
Coldwater, Michigan
Sandy, Oregon
Bedford, Virginia
Madras, Oregon
Mantorville, Minnesota
Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
Beloit, Kansas
Troy, Alabama
Nisswa, Minnesota
Keystone Heights, Florida
Gonzales, Louisiana
Hanover, Minnesota
Cavalier, North Dakota
Anoka, Minnesota
Granite Falls, Minnesota
Millersburg, Oregon
Bottineau, North Dakota
Madill, Oklahoma