Mauckport, Indiana

related topics
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{township, household, population}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{war, force, army}
{day, year, event}
{area, community, home}
{car, race, vehicle}
{water, park, boat}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Mauckport is a town in Heth Township, Harrison County, Indiana, along the Ohio River. The population was 83 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

In the earliest times Daniel Boone and his brothers, most notably Squire Boone, were regularly in the area of Mauckport. Squire Boone settled in the area in 1806. Squire Boone's remains are just north of Mauckport in the Squire Boone Caverns.

The Mauckport area's earliest permanent settlers came from the Shenandoah Valley and Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The town was named after the Maucks, a German immigrant family who first settled in that area. The town itself is built upon land granted to John Peter Mauck in an 1811 land grant. It was his son, Fredrick Mauck, who filed the original plat for the town on May 7, 1827, the town was called Mauck's Port. The original town had three streets running north to south and 4 streets running east to west. The original town was divided into 107 lots.

The first road from the state capital to the Ohio River, the region's central means of transportation, was built 1809 connecting the river at Mauckport with Corydon, Indiana.

It was John Peter Mauck who started the state's first ferry, a raft and tow line crossing to from Mauckport to Brandenburg, Kentucky on the opposite side of the river. It was operating at least as early as 1808. In the early days of the state it was considered the best means of entering the region by immigrants.[3] In the earliest days packetboats hauled timber and farm products from the port to other stops along the river. Very early after the development of the steam ship the town had a wharf and was a frequent stop for steam ships and river barges. This was due to it being the closest river port to the original state capital of Corydon, Indiana.

In 1847 the citizens of the town filed a petition to change the name of Mauckport to New Market. The petition was granted and it remained New Market until 1850 when it was changed back to Mauckport because of another New Market post office in Indiana. The town was first incorporated in 1853.

Mauckport was the site of a small skirmish in July 1863 during "Morgan's Raid" in the American Civil War. Mauckport was where Morgan and his men, aided by the citizens of neighboring Brandenburg, Kentucky, crossed the Ohio River to start his raid in earnest. When he first attempted to cross he was confronted by a small group of men from the Harrison County Legion firing artillery from the shore and armed men aboard the river boat Lady Pike. When Morgan returned fire with his own artillery the home guard quickly retreated back toward Corydon leaving Mauckport undefended. Upon landing his army on the east side of Mauckport Morgan burnt the steam boat Alice Dean. The citizen of Mauckport, having plenty of forewarning, abandoned the town and fled to the west until Morgan's army passed.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Fort Jones, California
Fairview, Utah
Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
Medaryville, Indiana
Lexington, South Carolina
Emmons County, North Dakota
Wrangell, Alaska
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
East Wenatchee, Washington
Waterville, Maine
Paulding County, Ohio
Caroline County, Virginia
Saco, Maine
Townsend, Tennessee
Hastings-on-Hudson, New York
Bandon, Oregon
Gardiner, Maine
Bethel, Maine
West Sacramento, California
Stanford, Kentucky
Jamestown, North Carolina
Rollinsford, New Hampshire
Macoupin County, Illinois
Fall City, Washington
Middlesex, Vermont
Jamaica, Vermont
Ridgeley, West Virginia
Greenback, Tennessee
Fort Snelling, Minnesota
Santa Anna, Texas