Medford, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{day, year, event}
{car, race, vehicle}
{area, part, region}
{household, population, family}

Medford is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 21,985 at the 2000 census.

Medford is a community in the southwest part of the Town of Brookhaven. It is served by the Patchogue-Medford School District, except for extreme southeastern Medford, which is served by the South Country Central School District, and extreme northeastern Medford, which is served by the Longwood Central School District. Some neighborhoods in Yaphank have Medford's zip code (11763.)

Contents

History

The Long Island Railroad established the Medford Station in 1843 in a flat wilderness in the Central Long Island Pine Barrens. The station connected to the Patchogue Stage Road between Patchogue, New York and Port Jefferson, New York and a post office was established.[1]

In 1850 the LIRR auctioned the land around the station which was purchased by the O.L. Schwenke Land & Investment Co. which bought four square miles and then subdivided them into 25-by-100-foot lots which sold for $10 to $75. The land remained poor for farming and according to legend, in a marketing attempt a mock factory with a phony roof was built near the tracks and when a train neared tar paper was burned to give the impression that a booming industry existed in the community.[1]

In 1907 the LIRR established the Medford Prosperity Farm to show that crops could be raised in the Pine Barrens. Theodore Roosevelt visited the station in August 1910. As the car drove across a trail between Medford and Wading River, New York, it got stuck in the mud and Roosevelt was said to take a "flying leap" to get out.[1]

Growth and development

By the mid-to-late-20th Century, developers were building new neighborhoods within Medford. Eagle Estates was built along Horse Block Road east of NY 112 in 1966, although it was planned as far back as the 1930s. The development included a King Kullen shopping center on Horse Block Road west of Eagle Avenue, and a youth baseball and athletic field east of Sipp Avenue between Wave and Race Avenues. The Long Island Expressway ran through Medford in 1970, with interchanges at NY 112 and Horse Block Road, the latter of which is close to an older interchange with Horse Block Road and Long Island Avenue, and was not completed until 1999. The Pines was established in the 1970's east of Buffalo Avenue, south of Jamaica Avenue, north of Woodside Avenue and far west of Patchogue-Yaphank Road.

Full article ▸

related documents
Mabank, Texas
Hollis, Maine
West Homestead, Pennsylvania
Vails Gate, New York
Reserve, Louisiana
Charlotte Hall, Maryland
Millington, Michigan
Jessup, Maryland
Williams Creek, Indiana
Cal-Nev-Ari, Nevada
Smyrna, Tennessee
Garyville, Louisiana
Leisure Village, New Jersey
Madrid, New York
Rossmoor, New Jersey
Hughesville, Maryland
Hillcrest Heights, Maryland
Port Washington, New York
New Hyde Park, New York
West Slope, Oregon
Chester, Virginia
Mount Oliver, Pennsylvania
Waterford, Connecticut
Mays Chapel, Maryland
Friendly, Maryland
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Park Forest Village, Pennsylvania
Newington, Virginia
Collegeville, Pennsylvania