Monaca, Pennsylvania

related topics
{household, population, female}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{disease, patient, cell}
{area, community, home}
{law, state, case}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{food, make, wine}

Monaca (pronounced /mɨˈnækə/ mi-NAK) is a borough in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States along the Ohio River, 25 miles (40 km) northwest of Pittsburgh. Monaca was first incorporated as Phillipsburg in 1840, and had been known by that name since the 1820s. In 1892, the name of the borough was changed to Monaca in honor of the Native American Indian Monacatootha.[1] Monacatootha (which means "Great Arrow"), also known as Scarouady, was an Oneida warrior chief, and was a representative of the Iroquois Confederacy with the authority to supervise affairs among the Delawares and Shawnees in that area.[2] He met with George Washington in Logstown in 1753. He was a strong friend of the English and campaigned against the French. Monaca Borough took its name from a Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad station at the east end of town. Fire clay is found in large quantities in the vicinity. In 1900, the population was 2,008; in 1910, 3,376; and in 1940, 7,061 people were residents. The population was 6,286 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The Borough of Monaca has a history dating back to the 18th century. A grant of land on which Monaca now stands was granted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by patent, bearing the date September 5, 1787, to Colonel Ephraim Blaine (1741–1804), who served in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, from 1778 to 1782 as commissary-general of the Northern Department[3], and paternal great-grandfather of James G. Blaine. In the patent, this tract was called "Appetite." On August 1, 1813, the land was bought by Francis Helvidi (or Helveti, Helvedi, Helvety), described as a Polish nobleman who was exiled from his native country and immigrated to America. Helvidi, who may have been the first white settler in Monaca, bought the large "Appetite" tract and raised sheep on it, but his venture was unsuccessful. Harmony Society leader George Rapp, one of Helveti's creditors, complained in 1815 "about the risk Helvety is taking with the sheep," and in 1821, the property was sold at Sheriff's sale to Rapp.

Full article ▸

related documents
Exeter, Pennsylvania
Apollo, Pennsylvania
Steelton, Pennsylvania
Windber, Pennsylvania
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Luzerne, Pennsylvania
West Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Minersville, Pennsylvania
Reynoldsville, Pennsylvania
Kingston, Pennsylvania
New Brighton, Pennsylvania
Plymouth, Pennsylvania
Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Port Carbon, Pennsylvania
Ashley, Pennsylvania
Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania
Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania
Saxonburg, Pennsylvania
Mount Union, Pennsylvania
Taylor, Pennsylvania
Mechanicsville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
Jermyn, Pennsylvania
Trappe, Pennsylvania
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Monroe, Pennsylvania
Morrisville, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
Pennsburg, Pennsylvania