North Oaks, Minnesota

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, family}
{city, population, household}
{law, state, case}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{system, computer, user}
{company, market, business}
{work, book, publish}
{son, year, death}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}

North Oaks is a suburb 10 miles (16 km) north of Saint Paul in Ramsey County in the U.S. state of Minnesota. Formerly a gated community that now posts private access signage, all land is owned by homeowners with the North Oaks Home Owners Association maintaining all roads, plowing, parks, facilities, and recreation trails. Each homeowner's property extends halfway into the street. There is also a city government with a Mayor and City Council that administers basic services such as fire, police, planning, and licensing. The City owns no property. As such the Metropolitan Council has no jurisdiction over the city's comprehensive plan within Minneapolis-Saint Paul the sixteenth largest metropolitan area in the United States. The Council estimated the City of North Oaks' population to be 4,457 in 2006.[1]

Contents

History

Structured around Pleasant Lake, the area began as a water source for the Saint Paul municipal water system, which still maintains water access rights today. The land was later purchased by Twin Cities magnate James J. Hill in 1883 and expanded into a 5,000-acre (20 km2) breeding and hobby farm.

His son Louis Hill later owned North Oaks Farm until death in 1950. Ownership passed to Louis' children who decided to develop the land into a model residential community. They incorporated the North Oaks Company with a mission to build with respect for the natural environment, having witnessed metropolitan sprawl during this time. To ensure their mission would be fulfilled, land was subdivided and sold with a warranty deed that created the North Oaks Home Owners’ Association (NOHOA) to be responsible for roads and recreation. Each deed placed each home's property line half way into the street, placing all roads into private ownership.

Remaining land in the city is owned by the North Oaks Company. The original farm buildings have been restored and are viewable to the public along with informational displays; tours are also available. Two of the remaining structures, the Blacksmith Shop and Machine Shop and Dairy Building, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In May 2008, NOHOA sent a letter to internet search company Google, stating that its Street View software contained images that violated their trespassing ordinance, and requested their removal.[5]

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.7 square miles (22.4 km²), of which, 7.3 square miles (18.9 km²) of it is land and 1.4 square miles (3.5 km²) of it (15.59%) is water. County Road 96 serves as a main route.

Demographics

Full article ▸

related documents
Mentor, Ohio
St. Francis, Wisconsin
Gahanna, Ohio
Vandalia, Ohio
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Lakewood, Ohio
Park Falls, Wisconsin
Green, Ohio
Casa Grande, Arizona
Evansville, Wisconsin
Elmore, Ohio
Indian Hill, Ohio
Belvedere, California
Whitelaw, Wisconsin
Glendale, Wisconsin
Fort Scott, Kansas
Powell, Ohio
Monte Sereno, California
St. Clairsville, Ohio
North College Hill, Ohio
Canfield, Ohio
Greenhills, Ohio
Wilsonville, Oregon
Tallmadge, Ohio
Cheviot, Ohio
Cramerton, North Carolina
Henderson, Nevada
Bridgeton, Missouri
Columbiana, Ohio
Niles, Ohio