Palmerton, Pennsylvania

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{island, water, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{company, market, business}
{rate, high, increase}
{acid, form, water}
{area, part, region}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{black, white, people}
{land, century, early}
{city, population, household}
{school, student, university}
{group, member, jewish}
{village, small, smallsup}

Palmerton is a borough in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is located in the coal region of the state. It is a part of lower Carbon County, which is considered part of the Lehigh Valley and the greater Allentown Metropolitan Area.

The population was 5,248 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Native Americans lived in the area that is now Palmerton for many years. Early European settlers established the villages of Hazard and Little Gap, which were part of Lower Towamensing Township. There was also an underground railroad station there.

In 1898, the New Jersey Zinc Company located a zinc smelting operation (what is now the West Plant) here, in order to take advantage of the anthracite coal being mined just north of Palmerton and the zinc mines in Franklin, New Jersey. The town was named after New Jersey Zinc's then-President, Stephen S. Palmer, though Palmer was reportedly not pleased with having his name on the town.

A second location, the East Plant, was established on the other side of town in 1911. Though other industries, such as several garment manufacturing shops, came to Palmerton, the zinc company was the major employer for most of the town's history. Much of the population was brought to the site, principally from Eastern Europe, in order to work in the zinc plants.

Palmerton was officially incorporated in 1912.

Zinc smelting was ended in 1980 due to a poor zinc market and environmental regulation. The East Plant continues to operate at reduced capacity, processing electric arc furnace dust into zinc calcine.


Geography

Palmerton is located at 40°48′11″N 75°36′43″W / 40.80306°N 75.61194°W / 40.80306; -75.61194 (40.803077, -75.611808).[1] It lies to the northeast of the junction of the Lehigh River and Aquashicola Creek. To the south of the town lies Blue Mountain, and to the north is Stony Ridge. Palmerton is located 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Bowmanstown and 5 miles (8.0 km) north of the twin towns of Walnutport and Slatington, 7 miles (11 km) southeast of Lehighton, and 20 miles (32 km) north of the city of Allentown. Palmerton's elevation is at 407 feet (124 m) above sea level. According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km²), of which, 2.5 square miles (6.4 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (1.59%) is water.

Full article ▸

related documents
Rising Sun, Maryland
Franklinton, North Carolina
Johnson City, New York
Luke, Maryland
Waltonville, Illinois
Wachapreague, Virginia
Ransom, Illinois
Raleigh, Mississippi
Cross Plains, Texas
Albers, Illinois
Weleetka, Oklahoma
Tutwiler, Mississippi
Crewe, Virginia
Wallace, Indiana
Byron, California
Keeler, California
Dix, Illinois
Chitina, Alaska
Blacksburg, South Carolina
Chinese Camp, California
Arlington, Illinois
Chalmette, Louisiana
Ardsley, New York
Murphys, California
Grant Town, West Virginia
Manley Hot Springs, Alaska
Gibbs, Missouri
Orange, Virginia
Goodsprings, Nevada
Kalkaska, Michigan