Parkville, Missouri

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{work, book, publish}
{black, white, people}
{@card@, make, design}
{line, north, south}

Parkville is a city in Platte County, Missouri, United States. The population was 4,059 at the 2000 census. Parkville is known for its antique shops, art galleries, and historic downtown. The city is home to Park University and English Landing Park.

Contents

History

Parkville is named for George S. Park who bought the steamboat landing concession on the Missouri River from the English Brothers in 1838 shortly after the Platte Purchase from the Native Americans opened the area for settlement. He served as the town's first postmaster.

n 1845 he organized the Parkville Presbyterian Church which is still one of the town's largest congregations.

In 1853 he started the Industrial Luminary, a newspaper some believed to abolitionist. Park, however, owned slaves and termed the newspaper pro-commerce. Park generally believed that slavery in Kansas would be bad for his business interests there.

In 1854 while leading a trip up the Kansas River, he established the town of Polistra near the mouth of the Big Blue River.

Park's newspaper was raided by a pro-slavery mob on April 14, 1855, and the printing press was thrown in the Missouri River. Park was in Polistra at the time closing a deal to turn over the town into a newly named Boston, Kansas to be run by members of the abolitionist New England Emigrant Aid Company (who in turn would rename it Manhattan). The Parkville Luminary, a newspaper based on the original Luminary, began publishing again in 2004 and is circulated every Friday. The newspaper's first issue contained unpublished letters from Park's last issue and frequently reprints Park's own editorials from the original Luminary.

In 1859 he promoted the Parkville and Grand River Railroad to build the first bridge across the Missouri River. Park lost the battle to Kansas City when the Hannibal Bridge opened in 1869 making it the dominant city in the region.

In 1875 he donated land for what would become Park University on the bluffs above the Missouri River. His former home is a prominent part of the campus, visible from the entrance and serving as the school's alumni center.

Tom Watson designed the National Golf Club of Kansas City on the north edge of the city, an area that was voluntarily annexed into the city. The road passing it is called the Tom Watson Parkway, though generally referred to as Highway 45.

Geography

Parkville is located at 39°11′44″N 94°41′1″W / 39.19556°N 94.68361°W / 39.19556; -94.68361 (39.195602, -94.683636)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.5 square miles (19.3 km²), of which, 6.9 square miles (17.9 km²) of it is land and 0.6 square miles (1.5 km²) of it (7.50%) is water.

Full article ▸

related documents
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Schuyler, Nebraska
Benton City, Washington
Taconite, Minnesota
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Corunna, Michigan
Jackson, Minnesota
Wabash, Indiana
Osakis, Minnesota
Shelton, Washington
Adel, Georgia
Vandalia, Missouri
Le Center, Minnesota
Marmet, West Virginia
Patton Village, Texas
Princeton, Missouri
Plainview, Texas
Sunset Valley, Texas
Lawrence, Indiana
Darwin, Minnesota
Mountain Lake, Minnesota
Buchanan, Georgia
Marble, Minnesota
Minnesota Lake, Minnesota
Oyster Creek, Texas
Fargo, Georgia
Maplewood, Minnesota
Stevenson, Washington
Hines, Oregon
Senoia, Georgia