Pearl River, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{village, small, smallsup}
{service, military, aircraft}

Pearl River is a town in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 1,839 at the 2000 census. It is part of the New OrleansMetairieKenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

Pearl River is located at 30°22′16″N 89°45′4″W / 30.37111°N 89.75111°W / 30.37111; -89.75111 (30.371096, -89.751139)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.6 km²), of which, 2.5 square miles (6.4 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (1.58%) is water.

History

The community that is today Pearl River was originally known as Halloo, a moniker it reputedly garnered from loggers yelling to one another as they labored along the nearby Pearl River. Early Halloo was a small railroad town, located at the junction of the Northeastern and Poitevent and Favre’s East Louisiana Railroads. In 1886 a train station was constructed at the site, and two years later Samuel R. Poitevent established the first store in the village. The community’s name was first changed from Halloo to Pearl, later to Pearlville, and eventually Pearl River, in 1888, after the train station built in the town.

On July 13, 1898, the 200 citizens of Pearl River voted to petition the state of Louisiana for incorporation as the, “Village of Pearl River,” a request which was granted nearly a decade later, on May 24, 1906, by governor Newton Crain Blanchard, with G.W. Fuller as the first mayor. The village slowly modernized over the course of the next half century, acquiring the land for a courthouse in 1935 and a town hall ten years later. In 1964, the village insignia was replaced, as the newly minted “town” laid claim to 1,500 residents, a designation that lives on today, in the town of about 2,000.

Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 1,839 people, 708 households, and 513 families residing in the town. The population density was 737.7 people per square mile (285.2/km²). There were 788 housing units at an average density of 316.1/sq mi (122.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.38% White, 1.36% African American, 0.92% Native American, 0.49% Asian, 0.65% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.07% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Evant, Texas
Panhandle, Texas
Viola, New York
Starbuck, Washington
Hamilton, Washington
Port Sulphur, Louisiana
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Belfry, Montana
Magalia, California
Incline Village-Crystal Bay, Nevada
Bear River City, Utah
Ladoga, Indiana
Medina, New York
Maeystown, Illinois
Manchester, Washington
Round Mountain, California
Modoc, Indiana
Carthage, New York
Kirkwood, California
Fullerton, Pennsylvania
Aloha, Oregon
Terry, Mississippi
Bushnell, South Dakota
Lamy, New Mexico
Fort Salonga, New York
Greenville, Virginia
Annawan, Illinois
Foresthill, California
Port Royal, Pennsylvania
Delhi, Louisiana