Pearl River, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{city, large, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{specie, animal, plant}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{day, year, event}
{village, small, smallsup}
{county, mile, population}

Pearl River is a hamlet (and census-designated place), in the Town of Orangetown Rockland County, New York, United States located east of Nauraushaun; north of the state of New Jersey; south of Nanuet and west of Blauvelt. The population was 15,553 at the 2000 census.

Pearl River is also the site of One Blue Hill Plaza, Rockland County's first commercial skyscraper with 21 stories of office space.

Pearl River is 25 miles north of Manhattan, and north of the New Jersey border and the first (traveling north) of three New York stops on New Jersey Transit's Pascack Valley Line.

In 1906, Ernest Lederle, a former New York City commissioner founded Lederle Laboratories (which became Wyeth and is now Pfizer) on a 99-acre (400,000 m2) farm which now encompasses 550 acres (2.2 km2) and 40 buildings employing 3,200 workers.[1][2]

Contents

History

Pearl River was originally called "Muddy Brook". In the early 1870s, the town was divided in five different parts: Naurashaun, post 1900, Middletown till 1821, Sickletown, Pascack and Muddy Brook till 1872.

According to historians, a resident of the town by the name of Dr. Ves Bogert found pearls in mussels in the Muddy Brook, which runs through the town. Hearing this the wife of the New Jersey and New York railroad, Mrs John Demarest, suggested the name Pearl River to her husband, president of the railroad, thus naming the town Pearl River.

Pearl River was a deserted area, low and swampy, in the flood plain of the Muddy Brook. It was purchased by Julius E. Braunsdorf in 1870. It is said that Braunsdorf was the "Father of Pearl River" and designed it to be a company town.

His first act was to donate a long strip of land right through the center of his property to the New Jersey and New York Railroad to enable them to bring an extension of the line from Hillsdale, New Jersey north to Nanuet.

Full article ▸

related documents
Rosedale, Maryland
Oak Grove, Oregon
Lake Bluff, Illinois
Tuxedo Park, New York
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
Goldston, North Carolina
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Highland Springs, Virginia
Warminster Heights, Pennsylvania
Manitou Beach-Devils Lake, Michigan
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Calverton, New York
Short Pump, Virginia
South Fallsburg, New York
Wainscott, New York
Bartonville, Texas
Brady, Washington
Clint, Texas
Port Jefferson, New York
Springs, New York
Big Lake, Washington
Holden Beach, North Carolina
Riegelsville, Pennsylvania
Dunn Loring, Virginia
Arden-on-the-Severn, Maryland
Fries, Virginia
Middle Island, New York
Fairfield Glade, Tennessee
Grover, North Carolina
Braddock, Pennsylvania