Perinton, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{service, military, aircraft}
{town, population, incorporate}
{law, state, case}
{township, household, population}
{land, century, early}
{disease, patient, cell}
{son, year, death}
{area, part, region}
{black, white, people}

Perinton (originally Perrington)[citation needed] is a town in Monroe County, New York, United States. The population was 46,090 at the 2000 census.

The Village of Fairport, New York is within the town on the Erie Canal. Perinton is adjacent to the village of East Rochester (W), and the towns of Victor (S), Macedon (E), Pittsford (SW), and Penfield (N). The hamlet of Egypt is in Southeastern Perinton. Egypt Fire Department, Lollypop Farm, and Egypt Park are major Egypt landmarks. The Southwestern portion of Perinton is called Bushnell's Basin and is home to the Bushnell's Basin Fire Department, Hitching Post Plaza, and Richardson's Canal House.

Contents

History

In 1788, Oliver Phelps and Nathaniel Gorham purchased 2.6 million acres (11,000 kmĀ²) of land in the wilderness of Western New York. William Walker of Canandaigua purchased 36 square miles (93 km2) of the land and hired his brother Caleb and his cousin Glover Perrin to survey and divide the land into 66 equal lots. The area was known as Township 12, Range 4, in the governmental unit of Northfield.

In 1793, Glover Perrin, his family, and his six siblings and their families, became the first permanent white settlers in the area. They settled in the flat and well-watered areas, specifically in the Hamlet of Egypt(along the current Route 31) and Perinton Center(the intersection of Turk Hill and Ayrault Roads). Early commercial ventures included mills, blacksmith shops, taverns, and inns. By the late 1820s, the Village of Fairport, located within the town on the Erie Canal, was becoming a booming canal town. Fairport, however, was not incorporated as a village until 1867. From the 1850s to the 1950s, Perinton's history was primarily Fairport's history. The village was an active canal port and also a booming industrial town, echoing a trend that was occurring nationwide. As a result of the availability of cheap and easy transportation, which by the 1850s included the railroad as well as the canal, companies like the DeLand Chemical Company, the Cobb Preserving Company, Taylor's Oil of Life, and eventually the American Can Company, grew and thrived. Services, including a fire department, a public library, street lighting,and parks,enhanced the life of the town and village. Residential areas, with homes built in a variety of architectural styles, were built around the bustling village center. The Town of Perinton, outside the Village of Fairport, remained essentially rural until the 1950s. Today farms still exist in Perinton, but are surrounded by suburban subdivisions, office and industrial parks, and an impressive number of parks and open spaces. The Village of Fairport still maintains the ambiance of a canal town and capitalizes on the recreational aspects of that canal. The Town of Perinton was named one of the nation's 100 best places to live in America in 2008 by RelocateAmerica.com.

Full article ▸

related documents
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Summerlin South, Nevada
Ravena, New York
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Ogden Dunes, Indiana
Gwinn, Michigan
Clinton, Washington
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Okolona, Louisville
Clarence Center, New York
Lake Carmel, New York
Impact, Texas
Salton City, California
Maybrook, New York
Forest Hills, Michigan
Tuba City, Arizona
Cliffwood Beach, New Jersey
Taylors, South Carolina
Ruston, Washington
Westlake, Texas
Somerset, Maryland
Altamont, Oregon
Yorktown, New York
Clayton, North Carolina
North Creek, Washington
Pennsbury Village, Pennsylvania
Sagaponack, New York
Paoli, Pennsylvania
Honey Brook, Pennsylvania
Ardmore, Pennsylvania