Pittsfield, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}
{line, north, south}
{county, mile, population}

Pittsfield is a town in Otsego County, New York, United States. The population was 1,295 at the 2000 census.

The Town of Pittsfield is on the west border of the county, northwest of the City of Oneonta.

Contents

History

The town was first settled around 1793.

The Town of Pittsfield was formed from part of the Town of Burlington in 1797. The territory of Pittsfield was reduced two times, in 1806 to form Town of New Lisbon, and in 1859 to form part of the Town of Morris. It was named by the Noble family from Pittsfield, MA, for their old home, who settled in the Pittsfield Centre vicinity.

The hamlet of Pittsfield, or "Pittsfield Centre", had a unmanned whistlestop station and siding on the Ontario & Western RR branch to Edmeston from New Berlin, later purchased by the Unadilla Valley RR. During WW1 Richard Freeman and Charles Walton shipped lumber by the carload from here, milled over in Ketchum.

Ketchum takes its name from the Rev. Orvib Ketchum who founded a congregational church on the headwaters of Aldrich Creek in the east part of town, the church was later sold by the Wyoming Conference to the Americana Village near Hamilton, NY. A schoolhouse, store, several steam sawmills and cemetery also existed here. The Ball family operated several "rope walks" nearby, where hemp was wound into twine and then rope.

County Route 13 between Morris and New Berlin is referred to as "the turnpike" by locals, originally constructed in 1832, it was the last section to operate a tollgate due to being the most expensive to build.

Ebenezer Chapel, near the southwest border, was coincidentally named after a nearby resident, and was a small settlement originally known as "Hayti" at one time. In 1956, a nearby house made statewide news when a moonshine still was busted up.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 37.8 square miles (97.8 km²), of which, 37.7 square miles (97.7 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.13%) is water.

The west town line, defined by the Unadilla River, is the border of Chenango County. Wharton Creek flows into the Unadilla River at the west town line. Aldrich Creek drains the east end of town southwards into the Butternut at Elm Grove in Morris.

New York State Route 80 passes through the northwest part of the town.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 1,295 people, 474 households, and 359 families residing in the town. The population density was 34.3 people per square mile (13.3/km²). There were 605 housing units at an average density of 16.0/sq mi (6.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.84% White, 0.23% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.08% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Neversink, New York
Macomb, New York
West Turin, New York
Marlborough, New York
Brandon, New York
Dickinson, Franklin County, New York
Volney, New York
Genesee Falls, New York
Narragansett, Rhode Island
Orange, New York
Clinton, Dutchess County, New York
Murray, New York
Edinburg, New York
Plymouth, New York
Durham, New York
Petersham, Massachusetts
Wenham, Massachusetts
Catharine, New York
Sangerfield, New York
Bradford, New York
Hebron, Texas
Rochester, Ulster County, New York
Maben, Mississippi
Stephentown, New York
Fort Laramie, Wyoming
Highland, Sullivan County, New York
Foyil, Oklahoma
Warren Park, Indiana
Middletown, Delaware County, New York
Savanna, Oklahoma