Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{water, park, boat}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{area, part, region}
{group, member, jewish}
{law, state, case}

Pocono Pines is a census-designated place (CDP) in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 1,013 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Pocono Pines is located at 41°6′54″N 75°27′37″W / 41.115°N 75.46028°W / 41.115; -75.46028 (41.114976, -75.460408)[1]. According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.4 square miles (11.4 km²), of which, 4.0 square miles (10.3 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.1 km²) of it (9.95%) is water.

History

Pocono Pines is located in the heart of the Pocono Mountains and is home to the communities of Lake Naomi and Pinecrest Lake. Most of the land was originally owned by the Miller family. Frank C. Miller, his brother Rufus W. Miller, and others, bought lands on Tunkhannock Creek (Tobyhanna Creek tributary) in Tobyhanna Township, Monroe County, Pennsylvania, organized a corporation known as the Pocono Spring Water Ice Company sometime in the 1890s. In September 1895, a 14-foot (4.3 m) dam was constructed across the creek and water began backing-up forming "Lake Naomi", a lake more than a mile long and about one-third of a mile wide. The Ice Company was granted a 99-year lease for the "the exclusive use of the water and its privileges." It was chartered for the purpose of "erecting a dam, for pleasure, boating, skating, fishing and the cutting, storing and selling of ice."

In 1902, visitors came from many of the surrounding metropolitan areas including New York and Philadelphia. In the same year the first bathing beach was created and some lots on the north side of the lake were subdivided and sold to summer cottagers. A sailing camp for girls was set-up on the northwest side of the lake. A Lutheran retreat, Lutherland, was erected on the southern side of the lake. The Millers and others utilized southern and eastern sides of the lake for swimming, sailing, skating, fishing. In 1921, a boathouse and beach were constructed on the site of today's Lake Naomi Clubhouse. In 1938, a famous Pennsylvania Supreme Court case took place over who owned the water rights to Lake Naomi, as the surrounding lands were soon owned by many different parties. See Miller v. Lutheran Conference & Camp Ass'n, 331 Pa. 241 (Pa. 1938).

Full article ▸

related documents
Inverness, California
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Cornwall, New York
Center Harbor, New Hampshire
Fair Plain, Michigan
Cashiers, North Carolina
Amagansett, New York
Ellicott City, Maryland
Lexington Park, Maryland
Westvale, New York
Edna Bay, Alaska
Bailey's Crossroads, Virginia
Round Hill, Loudoun County, Virginia
Centereach, New York
Wildwood Crest, New Jersey
Seneca, Illinois
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Cape St. Claire, Maryland
Farmingdale, New York
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Park Forest, Illinois
Massapequa Park, New York
Middletown, Rhode Island
East York, Pennsylvania
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
Diamondhead, Mississippi
Laurence Harbor, New Jersey
Burke, Virginia
Atascocita, Texas
Port Dickinson, New York