Rincon, Georgia

related topics
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{land, century, early}
{school, student, university}
{service, military, aircraft}
{math, energy, light}
{company, market, business}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{town, population, incorporate}
{system, computer, user}

Rincon is a city in Effingham County, Georgia, United States. The population was 4,376 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Savannah Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

The City of Rincon, in the southeast area of Effingham County, was first incorporated as recently as 1927. Even though its incorporation was not that long ago it appears that the earliest settlers came to the area in 1751. But, its existence as a full-fledged community with families and businesses dates back to the late 19th century. The origin and development of Rincon, Georgia really got its start with the coming of the railroad. Around the time of the turn of the 20th century a rail line was built from the Carolinas across the state line at the Savannah River and southward to Savannah. The name of the city is believed to have had its origin from the Spanish or Mexican name "Rincón" after a small but prosperous town in Mexico. ("Rincón" means "corner.")

Once the railroad and depot were built a telegraph operator or agent is known to have been on duty as early as about 1895. This opened up the area to communication. With the coming of the railroad and service to Rincon and the combined availability of the "dirt" road (now state Hwy21) between Savannah and Rincon and beyond, and other country roads between farms and the town and outlying other towns, Rincon became a small hive of activity. The surrounding farmers, sawmill operators and the like, who "wagoned" their products, cotton and lumber, to Savannah, now could "wagon" to the Rincon railhead for shipment. They also could receive shipments and travel as rail passengers.

About the time of World War I there was a spurt of local activity. Some men were absent in military services, and many locals in and around Rincon commuted daily to work in ship building and other war-related plants in Port Wentworth and Savannah. Soon after the war, new homes were built or completed by new residents and old.

Concerning Rincon GA's early schools there was a grade school that began about 1900 in an old two story building opposite the Lutheran church. A few years later the school was moved further north between 4th and 5th streets into a new two story building that had a steeple bell-tower and bell to signal recess and lunch periods and the opening and closing of school for the day. That building stood and was used for at least 40 years for both grade school and high school. It was originally known as Effingham Institute. Its name was changed in the early 1920s to Rincon High School.

Although Rincon, GA was first incorporated in 1927, as mentioned earlier, by 1929 the corporate government had become inactive. This was partially due to the small population. Sometime later, however, the population began to increase, first gradually and then rapidly. By 1950 the population was 454. By 1955 it was 650 and by 1960 it was 1,057. Times and circumstances having changed, Rincon was reincorporated and organized as the Town of Rincon around the end of 1954. The incorporated limits of Rincon can generally be described as within a circle having a diameter of 2½ miles, with the center at the site of the old (now gone) railroad depot.

In approximately 1934, Georgia State Route 21 was paved from the Chatham County line in the south, northward through Rincon and Springfield and beyond. In about 1939, electric lines were installed and electric power from the Savannah Electric and Power Company came to Rincon replacing private individual small plants. In late 1955, Rincon installed its own city pump, tank, lines and water system, enabling "running water" throughout for the first time. In 1956, a volunteer fire department was organized. Also beginning in that year, many arterials and streets were paved.

Full article ▸

related documents
Roby, Texas
Tuttle, North Dakota
Metolius, Oregon
Agawam, Massachusetts
Darlington, South Carolina
Helper, Utah
Titusville, Pennsylvania
Fairbury, Illinois
Amity, Arkansas
Yukon, Oklahoma
Spring Valley, Illinois
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Huntington, Utah
Odenville, Alabama
Ware Shoals, South Carolina
Archie, Missouri
Iola, Kansas
Xenia, Ohio
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Paris, Arkansas
Blair, Nebraska
Abernathy, Texas
Douglas, Arizona
Piedmont, Oklahoma
Columbia, California
Carthage, Missouri
Pocahontas, Virginia
Red Bay, Alabama
Swanton, Nebraska
Bernice, Louisiana