Rindge, New Hampshire

related topics
{land, century, early}
{area, part, region}
{township, household, population}
{island, water, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{son, year, death}
{service, military, aircraft}
{school, student, university}
{church, century, christian}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{village, small, smallsup}

Rindge is a town in Cheshire County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 5,451 at the 2000 census. The 2009 population was estimated to be 6,206.[1] Rindge is home to Franklin Pierce University, the Cathedral of the Pines, and part of Annett State Forest.

Contents

History

Native American inhabitants

The land in and around Rindge was originally inhabited by ancestors of the Abenaki tribe of Native Americans. Archeological evidence from nearby Swanzey indicates that the region was inhabited as much as 11,000 years ago (coinciding with the end of the last glacial period). As much as half of the Western Abenakis were victims of a wave of epidemics that coincided with the arrival of Europeans in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Later, many of the Western Abenaki present in southwestern New Hampshire chose to relocate to Canada during Colonial times, primarily due to their allegiance with the French during the French and Indian Wars.

Settlement by European colonists

In the eighteenth century, Massachusetts granted unappropriated land to veterans of Sir William Phipps' 1690 expedition against French-held Canada, called the Battle of Quebec, as compensation for services. Whole townships were granted to certain military companies and became known as "Canada" townships. Granted in 1736 by Governor Jonathan Belcher to soldiers from Rowley, Massachusetts, Rindge was first known as Rowley-Canada.[2] But the Masonian proprietors were making competing claims to the area, and in 1740 commissioners of the Crown decided that the boundary between Massachusetts and New Hampshire lay south of Rowley-Canada.[3] Consequently, it was re-granted in 1749 by Governor Benning Wentworth as Monadnock No. 1, or South Monadnock. The town would be incorporated in 1768 by Governor John Wentworth as Rindge, in honor of Captain Daniel Rindge of Portsmouth, one of the original grant holders, and the one who represented New Hampshire's claim to the land before the king.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Canada East
Arapaho
Portage
L'Anse aux Meadows
Nez Perce
Vitus Bering
Caldwell County, Missouri
Danish colonization of the Americas
Muckleshoot
Klamath
Bartolomeu Dias
Thomas Cavendish
Russian colonization of the Americas
Dutch West India Company
Atikamekw
Tuscarora (tribe)
Landrum, South Carolina
Van Diemen's Land
History of Jamaica
Spokane Valley, Washington
Homerton
Cornelis de Houtman
Penal colony
Leif Ericson
Jennings, Louisiana
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Chatti
Morrison County, Minnesota
Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable
Meadville, Pennsylvania