Rosendale, Missouri

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{line, north, south}

Rosendale is a city in Andrew County, Missouri, United States. The population was 180 at the 2000 census. Prior to 1881, Rosendale was known as Ogle Mills. It was later named after roses that grew in the area.

Rosendale is part of the St. Joseph, MO–KS Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

John Gaemlich came from the country of Germany and migrated west up the Missouri River with Joseph Robidouix. John bought the 160 acres (0.65 km2) of section 35 (the town of Rosendale) from Wingate King on September 16, 1856. John was a boot maker and shoe cobbler.

The settlement was first known as Ogles Mill, MO and was later given the name Rosendale in 1869 by Mr. Gaemlich, due partly to the love for the flower and because wild roses grew profusely in the bottom land in and around the village. Gaemlich operated the scales at the stockyards and served as the first mayor of Rosendale in 1881. John Gaemlich died in 1882 at the age of 68.

The first post office was started in 1856 by a man named Benjamin Ogle when the settlement was still known as Ogles Mill.

The Creston Branch of the Burlington Railroad was completed through Rosendale in 1869. Mr. Gaemlich had the town platted in April 1869, which consisted of 40 lots situated on the west half of the southwest quarter of Section 35, Township 61, Range 35, one-half which was donated to the railroad for the purpose of securing a depot. This plat was resurveyed by the company in May, 1870, and as revised showed 310 lots and six streets: Water, Main, Locust, Oak, Sylvan, and Elm. The railroad company retained possession of every alternate lot, which were at once placed upon the market and several of them sold. The most eligible lots were retained by Mr. Gaemlich.

The building of a depot started a short time after trains began running and attracted attention to the village as a shipping point. In 1872 the telegraph was added to the depot.

In 1883 the railroad built a new stockyard and erected a new depot. Four passenger trains passed through Rosendale from Creston, IA, to St. Joseph, MO daily.

In later years the passenger-mail train "The Bug" made one trip daily. Making its last run June 27, 1959. Freight trains, which occasionally include a passenger coach, passed through Rosendale until the swollen 102 took out the railroad bridge south of town June 15, 1967.

The Farmers Sate Bank, organized in 1895, was first called the Rosendale Bank. In 1921, the bank was reported to be in failing condition. On March 29, 1921, W.W. Wells, Pres., George Baum, V.P., Ed Adams, Sec., directors, and stockholders met and organized a new bank called The Farmers State Bank. The Farmers State Bank has always been known as "The Bank of Friendly Service" and would strive to fulfill this motto for many years to come.

Full article ▸

related documents
Newman Grove, Nebraska
Glenwood, Minnesota
Siletz, Oregon
Ihlen, Minnesota
Odessa, Missouri
Belmont, West Virginia
Dunseith, North Dakota
Lansford, North Dakota
Wellford, South Carolina
Iredell, Texas
Barry, Texas
Springfield, Michigan
Karnes City, Texas
Colorado City, Texas
Rochelle, Georgia
Lancaster, Missouri
Roeland Park, Kansas
Mount Vernon, Missouri
Lafayette, Oregon
Burwell, Nebraska
Early, Texas
Johnson, Minnesota
Denham, Minnesota
West Union, Minnesota
Westport, Minnesota
Sedan, Minnesota
Norcross, Minnesota
Josephine, Texas
Falfurrias, Texas
St. Marys Point, Minnesota