Shearer's Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Big Chiques Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. (Chiques Creek was known as Chickies Creek until 2002).
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. It is the only covered bridge in the county painted entirely in red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside including both approaches. The other all red bridge, Pool Forge Covered Bridge, is only painted on the outside. It is one of only 3 covered bridges in the county with horizontal side boards.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-31. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003532. It is located at 40°10′17.4″N 76°23′23.4″W / 40.1715°N 76.389833°W (40.17150, -76.38983).
The bridge was built in 1847 by Jacob Clare. It was rebuilt in 1855 and stayed there until it was moved in 1971 to its present location in the Manheim Memorial Park.
- Length: 86 feet (26.2 m) total length
- Width: 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 11 feet 6 inches (3.5 m)
View of the bridge from the side
Three quarters view
One of the approaches to the bridge
An inside view of the bridge
A closeup of the Burr arch truss
One of the bridge's window
The bridge's floor boards
The bridge's ceiling
History plaque on the bridge
Full article ▸