Sheldonian Theatre

related topics
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}
{@card@, make, design}
{work, book, publish}
{theory, work, human}
{school, student, university}
{album, band, music}
{day, year, event}
{city, large, area}

The Sheldonian Theatre, located in Oxford, England, was built from 1664 to 1668 after a design by Christopher Wren for the University of Oxford. The building is named after Gilbert Sheldon, chancellor of the university at the time and the project's main financial backer. It is used for music concerts, lectures and university ceremonies, but not for drama.

Contents

History

What came to be known as the Sheldonian Theatre was Wren's second work, and was commissioned by Gilbert Sheldon, Archbishop of Canterbury. With the triumph of the Restoration and with it the Church of England, Dean Fell sought to revive a project proposed in the 1630s by the late William Laud Archbishop of Canterbury: a separate building whose sole use would be graduation and degree ceremonies.

In the past these increasingly rowdy occasions had taken place in the university's church of St.-Mary-the-Virgin-on-High. "The notion that 'sacrifice is made equally to God and Apollo', in the same place where homage was due to God and God alone, was as repugnant to Fell and his colleagues as it had been to Laud.";[1] with this in mind they approached the current Archbishop of Canterbury Gilbert Sheldon, both for his blessing, his assistance, and a donation.

Sheldon was forthcoming with all three. He initially gave an impressive £1,000 (£113,113 today) and pledged to gather the needed money from like-minded sponsors. He had little luck, however, and ultimately financed nearly the entire £14,470 (£1,636,744 today) himself, in an age where a mid-level craftsman's wage was typically between £2 and £4 per year.

Nothing is known for sure of Wren's first designs for the Sheldonian, but the finished building was a sharp, unmistakable break from the Gothic past. Wren designed the Sheldonian based on Serlio's engraving of the D-shaped Theatre of Marcellus in Rome in the first century BC.[citation needed]

Like any Mediterranean theatre of that time, the Theatre of Marcellus had no roof: the audience relied on a temporary awning for inclement weather. But 17th century Oxford was not ancient Rome, and the Theatre needed a permanent roof. Yet the span of the D-shaped roof was over 70 feet (21 m). No timbers existed that were long enough to cross that distance, and Wren dismissed the obvious solution of a Gothic roof. Instead, he decided to use the "geometrical flat floor" grid developed twenty years before by Oxford professor John Wallis.

It involved:

"...creating a series of trusses which were build up from shorter section and held in place by their own weight, with help from judiciously placed iron bolts and plates..so effective [was the roof] that for nearly a century the University Press stored its books...and for many years it was the largest unsupported floor in existence...'[2]

Full article ▸

related documents
Winter Palace
Wrigley Building
Dean Village
Fort Augustus
Ærøskøbing
Downing Street
Highgate Cemetery
Mortlake
Mission San Antonio de Padua
Aon Center (Chicago)
Savoy Palace
Refugio, Texas
Chillicothe, Missouri
Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia
George Streeter
Blackfriars Bridge
John Nash (architect)
Inn
Cornelius, Oregon
World Cotton Centennial
La Recoleta Cemetery
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Amberley Working Museum
Nipper
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Hickory, North Carolina
Mastaba
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Titus Salt
The Rip Van Winkle Caper