St. Francisville, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{day, year, event}
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}
{land, century, early}
{school, student, university}
{area, part, region}
{son, year, death}
{mi², represent, 1st}

1880 circa St. Francisville Inn is a Bed & Breakfast and Wine Parlor

Butler Greenwood Plantation, Antebellum plantation tours and Bed & Breakfast

Afton Villa Gardens, St. Francisville, La., open for self-guided garden tour.

Myrtles Plantation House, St. Francisville

St. Francisville is a town in and the parish seat of West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, United States.[1] The population was 1,712 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

St. Francisville is located at 30°47′5″N 91°22′50″W / 30.78472°N 91.38056°W / 30.78472; -91.38056[2].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.8 square miles (4.7 km²), all of it land.

History

The town of St. Francisville was established in 1809 and a number of historic structures from that period still exist. Called the town "two miles long and two yards wide" because it was developed atop a narrow ridge overlooking the Mississippi River, it was the commercial and cultural center of the surrounding plantation country. Below St. Francisville's bluffs, another early settlement called Bayou Sara had been established in the early 1790s and was at one time before the Civil War the largest shipping port on the Mississippi River between New Orleans and Memphis. Destroyed by repeated flooding and fires, nothing exists of Bayou Sara today, but a few of its structures were hauled up the hill into St. Francisville in the 1920s.

Years of contention as to exactly where the eastern boundary of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase was, depending on which treaty was cited as France and England and Spain shifted the territory among themselves, allowed Spain to continue to claim St. Francisville and territory on the eastern side of the Mississippi River which is today called the Florida Parishes. In 1810 St. Francisville served as the capital of the Republic of West Florida as the local planters ousted the Spanish government and set up their own independent republic for a grand total of 74 days before being annexed to the rest of Louisiana as part of the United States.

Full article ▸

related documents
North Webster, Indiana
Marrowstone, Washington
Oblong, Illinois
West Alexandria, Ohio
Hebron, Connecticut
Ames, Oklahoma
Laughlin, Nevada
Iota, Louisiana
Hilton, New York
Boxborough, Massachusetts
Irmo, South Carolina
Richlands, North Carolina
Terre Hill, Pennsylvania
Throop, Pennsylvania
Cummington, Massachusetts
La Crosse, Washington
Chilhowee, Missouri
Angier, North Carolina
Independence, Virginia
Vermontville, Michigan
Dewey Beach, Delaware
St. John, Washington
Alderson, West Virginia
Forestville, New York
Altamont, Albany County, New York
Centre Hall, Pennsylvania
Milford, Pennsylvania
Wyoming, New York
Jonestown, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania
Renovo, Pennsylvania