St Anne's College, Oxford

related topics
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{city, large, area}
{@card@, make, design}
{group, member, jewish}
{woman, child, man}

St Anne's College

St Anne's College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. Formerly a women's college, it has been coeducational since 1979 and now prides itself on being "a modern, forward-looking, intellectually ambitious college".[1] What is now St Anne's College began life as part of the Association for the Education of Women, the first institution in Oxford to allow for the education of women (see: Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford), then later the Society of Oxford Home-Students. In 1942, it became the St Anne's Society, and received a university charter to be founded as a women-only college in 1952. Today it is one of the larger colleges in Oxford, with around 450 undergraduate and 200 graduate students, in a roughly equal mix of men and women. As of 2008, the college had an estimated financial endowment of £38m.[2]

Contents

Location and buildings

St Anne's College is located in North Oxford. While it remains a common myth that it is built on land donated by St John's College, the site was acquired slowly by the purchase of existing houses and residences for the use of students.[3] Its grounds are bounded by Woodstock Road and Banbury Road to the west and east respectively, and Bevington Road to the north. They extend as far south as 48 Woodstock Road on the west, and 27 Banbury Road on the east side. The College formerly owned a number of houses throughout Oxford used for undergraduate accommodation, some formerly boarding houses of the Society of Oxford Home-Students; these have been largely sold off to fund the building of the Ruth Deech Building, completed in 2005. These grounds house all of the college's administrative and academic buildings, as well as undergraduate accommodation.

The Hartland House, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, was the first purpose-built college building, finished in 1937 with an additional wing built in 1973. It now houses the Library, the junior and senior common rooms, and some administrative offices. The Dining Hall, built in 1959, has a capacity of 300, and is also used for college collections and 'bops'. The Eleanor Plumer House (known until 2008 as simply 35 Banbury Road) houses the Middle Common Room, and attached facilities including a study area/computer room and kitchen, in addition to accommodation for graduate students. Four additional Victorian houses (27 and 37 Banbury, 48 and 60 Woodstock) hold teaching rooms, seminar rooms, practice rooms, and college offices.

Full article ▸

related documents
St Peter's College, Oxford
Selwyn College, Cambridge
Voorheesville, New York
St Cross College, Oxford
Keble College, Oxford
Centralia, Illinois
Refugio, Texas
Harefield
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Ærøskøbing
Waterway restoration
Dean Village
Bellefontaine, Ohio
DuPont Manual High School
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Pampa, Texas
Kellogg, Idaho
Hickory, North Carolina
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Benjamin Latrobe
Scouting in New Hampshire
University of Puerto Rico
Buckhannon, West Virginia
Cornelius, Oregon
St Hilda's College, Oxford
Calvert, Texas
Northwestern College (Iowa)
Box Tunnel
Titus Salt
The Rip Van Winkle Caper