St Peter's College, Oxford

related topics
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{church, century, christian}
{law, state, case}
{work, book, publish}
{day, year, event}
{company, market, business}
{@card@, make, design}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

St Peter's College

St Peter's College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom, located in New Inn Hall Street. It occupies the site of two of the University's oldest Inns, or medieval hostels - Bishop Trellick's, later New Inn Hall, and Rose Hall - both of which were founded in the 13th century and were part of the University in their own right. During the First English Civil War, the University's college plate was requisitioned by the King's Oxford Parliament and taken to New Inn Hall to be melted down into "Oxford Crowns".[1] In the 18th century, William Blackstone became the Principal of New Inn Hall after being appointed the Vinerian Professor of English Law at Oxford. New Inn Hall and Rose Hall later became part of Balliol College.

The modern history of the college in its present form began in 1929 when St Peter's Hall was founded by Francis James Chavasse, Bishop of Liverpool, who was concerned at the rising cost of education in the older universities in Britain, and projected St Peter's as a College where promising students, who might otherwise be deterred by the costs of College life elsewhere, could obtain an Oxford education. The commitment to make Oxford accessible to any student of ability, irrespective of means, remains a feature of St Peter's today.

In 1961, the University approved a statute giving St Peter's Hall full collegiate status. With the granting of its Royal Charter in the same year, it took the name St Peter's College. As of 2006, the college has an estimated financial endowment of £34 million.[2]

Contents

Buildings

St Peter's has an interesting and varied set of buildings, many of them much older than the College itself. The College has, in effect, adapted existing buildings to provide the collective facilities needed for College life, and built new ones to provide for student accommodation. Linton House, a handsome Georgian rectory, dating from 1797, is the entrance to the College, and houses the Porters' Lodge and College library. Canal House, the Master's Lodge, dates from the early 19th century.

The College Dining Hall, known as Hannington Hall after the Victorian missionary, Bishop James Hannington, dates from 1832 and is the only surviving part of New Inn Hall. The College chapel was originally the Church of St Peter-le-Bailey, built in 1874, and the third church of that name on this site. The buildings of the former Oxford Girls' School, which adjoin the original site of the College, have been acquired more recently and provide living accommodation for students, seminar rooms, a Middle Common Room (for postgraduates) and a Music Room.

Full article ▸

related documents
St Anne's College, Oxford
Selwyn College, Cambridge
Refugio, Texas
Dean Village
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Ærøskøbing
St Cross College, Oxford
Keble College, Oxford
Waterway restoration
Harefield
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Hickory, North Carolina
Benjamin Latrobe
Centralia, Illinois
Pampa, Texas
Kellogg, Idaho
Bank of China Tower, Hong Kong
Cornelius, Oregon
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
King David Hotel
Buckhannon, West Virginia
The Rip Van Winkle Caper
Titus Salt
Nipper
Calvert, Texas
World Cotton Centennial
McBee, South Carolina
Frederiksværk
Savoy Palace
Amberley Working Museum